Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Vegetarian/Vegan Thread

that's why you need to keep me around though

i have like 1000 recipes running through my mind all the time

whenever i am bored i just make up new vegetarian/vegan/sometimes pescatarian recipes in my mind

i love food...

I've officially become a vegetarian. :D I haven't eaten any meat for a week, including poultry and fish, and honestly I don't really miss at all. I'm really suprised at the amount of vegetarian dishes that are available in supermarkets; like I just had a Quorn Lemon and Black Pepper escalope and it tasted great to me. The only downside is no more McDonalds but I guess it will be good for me in the long run.

A lot of people are bieng really judgemental about me choosing to be a vegetarian. The thing is, I always disliked the idea of killing animals to satisfy my hunger but I was so hypocritical because I had no problems eating them, it was just the killing. Now that I've given up meat, I just feel a lot better about myself and I don't see why people have a problem with that. Some people love meat and don't mind the methods in which they get it at all, and I don't see a problem in that whatsoever. We are all entitled to our own preferences, I just wish people were more respectful of mine.

You go, Nade! Welcome to the dark side, muahuahua.

Seriously, though, I completely agree with your opinion on other people eating meat. I respect their preferences, so why do they have to be so disrespectful of mine? Sigh. I'm so sick of having to explain myself.

Wooo Nade!!!

That's what I hate too, I think I ranted it about it a little on the last page--when people actually become judgmental about being a vegetarian--why? I just don't get it.

I have not once judged people for eating meat but I get heck for being veg all the time.
    Usually when people find out I have been doing it for years they slack off though--but when it was just like "how long have you been vegetarian?" and I was like "um, about two weeks now" they just thought it was a joke and was like "oh that's nothing, eat a chicken finger...you're not really a vegetarian"...and I would just think to myself--is there a period of time when all of a sudden it's legitimate?

You just have to prove to yourself that this isn't just a trial run--and honestly, I think that even if it was a trial run--it should still be equally respected--but a lot of people don't.

Once people realize how serious you are about being a vegetarian--they will start taking you as a vegetarian more seriously.

I still get flack about it sometimes--and it's been 3-4 years.

I guess I have had my slips though. Once when I was drunk last year I took a bite of somebody's pepperoni pizza because I was just so starving. I spent so much time worrying about eating a bite whether i picked the pepperoni off or not that when i finally made the decision to have a bite--i completely forgot about the option to remove the pepperoni (i still consider it cheating though if pepperoni was originally on the slice...but just a little less extreme) and this year--out of curiosity on whether or not I would even like the taste of meat anymore--I ate one of my biggest vices from a few years ago--suicide chicken wings. I didn't like it--the texture made me nauseous. The taste of the sauce was delicious though--and now I use it on veg things.

So some people see me as a "fake" still--because I have had about 2 bites of meat in about 4 years.

Whatevs.

I just went off on a crazy tangent there. Sorry! I can ramble about vegetarianism and food all day long...

singing my heart's song duckiies's Avatar

Achievements

I've recently become a vegetarian. Haven't eaten meat in 3 weeks and I'm eating way healthier foods because of it. It's also helped me to rediscover the pure amazingness of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

It's so much less difficult than I had anticipated. Sure, I love meat - all I used to ever eat was chicken strips - but it's pretty easy living without it.

Quote Originally Posted by duckiies View Post
    I've recently become a vegetarian. Haven't eaten meat in 3 weeks and I'm eating way healthier foods because of it. It's also helped me to rediscover the pure amazingness of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

It's so much less difficult than I had anticipated. Sure, I love meat - all I used to ever eat was chicken strips - but it's pretty easy living without it.
    Yay!! Always glad when someone at least tries being veggie. Three weeks is a long time for someone who used to eat meat all the time.

Although, I could probably survive on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for quite a while..

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    OKAY, Kathleen..............................

I've wanted to try being a vegetarian. I hear you feel amazing.
    ha! this may be an old post, but were you talking about Kathleen from antm cycle 8?

I'm vegan here! But I don't eat processed vegan foods or anything like that.

A typically day for me goes like this:

One meal consists of cooked quinoa with dulse seaweed and broccoli.

Another will consist of lentils mixed with quinoa with some dulse seaweed or ginger.

I'm also into fruits like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, pears, and kiwi. Other foods I like to cook besides lentils and qunioa include sweet potatoes, steamed veggies, etc etc

The first rule for my vegan diet is if I can't read the ingredients, then I won't eat it. I also avoid oils but once in awhile I have some coconut oil or grapeseed oil.

I have an old school popcorn maker and so I usually make my popcorn plain. That's my favorite snack food besides the fruit mentioned above.

I'm trying to find other grains that are similar to quinoa (I already know about different rices, millet, and cous cous). If anyone has any interesting ideas let me know! Quinoa is my favorite food ever! Sometimes I make it with a peach and it tastes so delicious!

I have a lot of pride in my diet and it's really rad that there are some people on here who are similar. c:

Quote Originally Posted by lucyinthesky89 View Post
    I just hate how every single time somebody finds out they are like "oh my god I couldn't live without meat!" and I'm like "well...you could...you just choose not to...my body has the same biological functions as yours and i'm surviving just fine thank you." I don't actually say that but I always think that.

I also hate when people ask me why I'm a vegetarian. I feel like explaining just makes me sound like I'm preaching--it makes me sound like I have better morals or something. Also if I do try and explain I always get that "you not eating meat isn't going to make a difference, you're just one person--you are creating no impact"

it's really frustrating.

I actually get pretty defensive and I'm like "I don't judge you for eating meat, don't judge me for not eating it."
    I know what you mean! I hate going to dinner parties or being apart of group meals. It's so frustrating. People will like question why I am not eating what they're eating and I try to tell them it's okay but they don't stop pressing the issue. And when I try to explain my beliefs, how I can't eat something with a beating heart, then they think I think I'm better than them for not eating what they're consuming.

Achievements

Time to resurrect this thread from the dead. Nobody has posted anything since the month and year I joined.

So, I've been a vegetarian for about a year now. The first week that I quit, I had cravings for meat, especially when I saw tacos or chicken strips at my university's cafeteria. But after a while, it was no longer something that I desired. I would see people lined up for steak and I would be like 'meh' and get pasta or something without even caring. I used to think becoming a vegetarian would limit my food choices, but it turned out to be the opposite actually. Nowadays I'm a lot more daring when it comes to trying new types of foods and I'm eating a lot healthier. A lot of people that have learned about my diet have been pricks. Like, why do you care so much about what I put into my mouth? Do you care that much when your friends stuff their faces full of fast food everyday? Like, GTFO. One of my mom's friends was even like 'Meat is so good, how can you not eat it? You'll learn to appreciate it over time". I was taken aback, I didn't even know what to say. YES, I'm aware meat tastes good, but I value the lives of animals more then the temporary pleasure of my taste buds. She would probably get all butt-hurt if I said that, but it's kind of the truth.

I'm interested to see this thread updated with newer active members.
    Last edited by Exhale; 10-04-2014 at 11:36 PM.

KNTM ROYALTY

Achievements

i've always wanted to be a vegetarian but i think that i'm too picky of an eater to pull it off. like i HAAAAAATE cheese and i think that would hold me back and i think i'd probably just want to eat carbs all the time smh. also the effort. any tips for someone who wants to become a vegetarian but can't figure out how to make the leap? thnx.

Achievements

Quote Originally Posted by BottleItUp View Post
    i've always wanted to be a vegetarian but i think that i'm too picky of an eater to pull it off. like i HAAAAAATE cheese and i think that would hold me back and i think i'd probably just want to eat carbs all the time smh. also the effort. any tips for someone who wants to become a vegetarian but can't figure out how to make the leap? thnx.
    FISH!

#RPDR9 Yvie Oddly | Brooke Lynn Hytes | Plastique Tiara | Vanessa Vanjie Mateo

#iServeFace

Banned
    I was a vegetarian from 2009-2013.

I ate a drumstick during my sister's birthday in November, and never looked back.

Woah at you guys! I don't think I will ever be a vegan

AI 17: Jeremiah|Laci
    PR 17: Sebastian

Fine Like Expensive Wine Putrid_Potatoes's Avatar

Achievements

Quote Originally Posted by BottleItUp View Post
    Bottle, I've been a vegetarian for a year and a month now. My diet, however, does contain a lot of dairy (because I love it and it prevents me from missing meat in foods such as burrito ). Tbh, since you hate diary, if you were to stop eating meat, that would move you more into vegan territory. And that is hard. Tried it for a week and couldn't last. It's far too restrictive and you'd have to up your intake of Vitamin B12 pills (and possibly for other vitamins).

Also, we're both really slim people, so I think jumping straight into such a restrictive diet would be bad for our health. If you're serious about becoming a vegetarian or vegan, make sure you ease into it. I didn't. I straight up stopped eating meat one day September of last year (though I did tell myself I would do so weeks beforehand). Also, make sure you're doing it for the right reasons, not just because "well, I love animals and don't want to see them killed." During the first month, I craved meat so badly at first that I could have eaten almost every tasty-looking animal in sight. Somebody who's only doing it as a challenge or without the right mindset won't have much incentive to continue with the diet or make it a lifestyle.

Becoming a vegetarian is an incredibly personal thing, which is why I never force my views about animal killing on anybody. And why I will not raise my kids to be vegetarians. People should choose to follow such a diet of their own volition. Make sure you're doing it for yourself and your own peace of mind. Make sure to ask your doctor if it'll be good for you as well. A friend of mine's doctor told her not to become a vegetarian because it'd affect her health negatively due to existing low deficiencies. Otherwise, after a month or so, you stop craving meat. After 6 months, it's much easier to make it a lifestyle.

And you'd be surprised how many combinations of food you can mix that don't contain meat and are absolutely delish!

I'm planning to go vegan since I don't eat chicken/beef bc I believe that they will make me fat. Haha! I get my protein from fish, though.

AND why is it that almost everyone on the internet criticizes vegans?

I didnt know this thread existed!

Im a vegetarian since 2011 and I still find out about new recipes. I really am sick of all my friends questionning my vegetarianism and always having to explain why Im right and their wrong...

I started making overnight oats last week and its ama-z-ing.

Keep on the excellent work yall

xxx
    Endorsing this fish

to be cast on Season 9 of Rupaul's Drag Race

RTVG Apprentice vampireheroinemodel's Avatar
    I became a vegan last year. It is harder than being vegetarian.

Just three months ago, I found out that I'm allergic to gluten so I had to give up on wheat.

Living in gluten-free and vegan is crazy, but I am proud of it.
    Last edited by vampireheroinemodel; 04-30-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456