Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Vegetarian/Vegan Thread

Quote Originally Posted by anomina82 View Post
    i'be been a vegetarian for a while now. i always eat rise :S...
    somethimes pasta, and sandwiches without ham.
    i dont like vegetables, only lettuce and tomatoes.
    i dont think i could ever be a vegan. but milk, cheese and that stuff doesnt hurt the animals, so.. :D
    Mmm False.
    If you are a vegetarian because of mistreatment of animals--then you should pretty much be a vegan.

Chickens and cows experience some pretty extreme torture to make sure that the eggs and milk are at proper quality to sell to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Nade View Post
    I've wanted to be a vegetarian for quite a long time now; I've always felt very hypocritical about bieng so judgemental of the slaughter of animals. I've decided to completely give up red meat for the next month, and than after that month give up poultry and white meat, so I can ease myself into it. It's been about a week so far and I haven't really missed red meat though, apart from having a craving for a cheeseburger from McDonalds.
    That's pretty much what I did. But I started the month off eating red meat and pork normally and slowly cut it down so that by the end of the month it was nearly eliminated from my diet and then the same for poultry and fish.

Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
    Just wanted to say that I'm back on meat. It was so easy at first but I eventually began craving steak and I couldn't handle it anymore. And I need the god damn testosterone.

ETA: Wellll I just did some research and found out red meat does not help testosterone very much. :| I love how I didn't know that. That was one of the main reasons I quit being a pescatarian, but now that I know it's not necessary I will try this again and hope I can pull through.

FAIL.

Good luck at the re-try.

love you

i dont think i can do it anymore
    the absence of meat is making go insane, literally
    save your heart,for someone that's worth dying for
    don't give it away
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    forget the flying tomato, it's all about the flying kiwi

^ That's so weird. Have you been getting enough protein? Or is it a mental thing?

Apparently it takes about 3 months for somebody to stop 'missing' meat.

I have no longings anymore. I would say it probably took me about that long.

But even now, like 3 or so years later--if I ever get a whiff of those full cooked chickens that they have in the grocery stores, my mouth still waters.

I had veggie meatballs today. Delish. They were the PC brand (largest food retailer in Canada--don't know if any of it has leaked into the states) and they have a veggie meatballs called "The World's Greatest Meatless Meatballs" or something like that. I cooked them in Diana Sauce and just had it on pasta for the legit "spaghetti and meatballs" experience. Deeeelicious.

I realized as I was checking out at the grocery store yesterday, that I had no dairy or eggs. I am vegan for the week. Going to see how it goes. If it is fine I might make the switch.

^ That's so weird. When I went vegetarian (and believe me, it was a long time ago), I didn't miss meat at all. onder I never heard about that three months thing. Guess I'm just destined for it, then.

And congrats, lucy, on the vegan thing.

i couldnt do it
    i cracked, but emotionally, i feel a lot better
    save your heart,for someone that's worth dying for
    don't give it away
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    forget the flying tomato, it's all about the flying kiwi

I'm a vegan and I'm proud of it. I'm tired of all the crap about vegetarianism/veganism. People were discouraging me and making up things like "You're not even going to be over 5 feet tall" before I became a vegan, but here I am now. (I'm 14 years old and I'm over 5'10'', which is not bad for my age)

I hate when people criticize something without knowing what they are talking about. I don't say everyone should be entitled to my opinion, but at least I will search and try to learn about something before I refuse or judge it.

BTW, I'm also aware of the environment, because I don't think someone can be vegeterian/vegan and don't care about the Earth

I'm doing pretty well with the transition into vegan-ism.

As of right now this week I have only had 1 drunken grilled cheese sandwich (are kraft singles even actual cheese? i feel like it shouldn't count ) and I may have had some things with eggs or milk as an ingredient in it but I'm not sure...I forgot about hidden ingredients.

I don't think I will be an official vegan. I think I will be a vegetarian that eats a dominantly vegan diet.

I have now officially decided to go down the pescetarian road, because it'll be easy to give up meat but giving up sushi and sashimi would be very, very difficult. I'll also eat the occasional chicken because I love chicken.

And LOVE @ Lucy for giving us all these vegetarian recipes. I'm going to turn to you when I don't know what to eat from now on.
    THIS THIS THIS.
    I love sushi and sashimi sfm, I don't even know where to begin.

Lucy, reading your post made me hungry.

ausntm 7: amelia / caroline / elizabeth / montana / nyajame / simone

Quote Originally Posted by lucyinthesky89 View Post
    I'm doing pretty well with the transition into vegan-ism.

As of right now this week I have only had 1 drunken grilled cheese sandwich (are kraft singles even actual cheese? i feel like it shouldn't count ) and I may have had some things with eggs or milk as an ingredient in it but I'm not sure...I forgot about hidden ingredients.

I don't think I will be an official vegan. I think I will be a vegetarian that eats a dominantly vegan diet.
    Well done Lucy!!! Keep up the good work

I made up a vegan soup the other day which I am really proud of and I thought I would share. It is a Curry Sweet Potato soup.

I sauteed some onions until they softened in a pot with a bit of oil and then added salt, pepper, and curry powder.

I then filled the pot with vegetable broth and added sweet potatoes that I had peeled and cut into chunks. The broth just covered the potatoes. As the potatoes cook and soften it absorbs the vegetable broth so there will be a lot less broth towards the end.

Once the potatoes are tender I poured everything into a blender (blender, food processor, magic bullet...whatever) and added some more vegetable broth. I then pureed it. You can keep adding vegetable broth--depends on the thickness you would want but I like my pureed soups fairly thick.

I then added it back to the pot, added a pinch more curry powder and then some paprika--depends on how spicy you like it. I probably put in about a teaspoon or 2.

I also like to dip things into my soup. Cinammon goes really well with sweet potato and it's normally found in sweet potato soup--but i opted for the curry instead. So I took some french bread and brushed it with melted butter and dusted on a fair amount of cinammon and then baked it to make little cinammon toasts for dipping.

Anyways, that's my delicious soup!

I have tested it on 5 people and 4/5 people loved it.

Does anyone else hate it when people find out you're a vegetarian and suddenly get all defensive? Or when someone asks if you know where eggs come from. Like, duh... People really piss me off with that jazz. Especially when they fancy themselves nutritionists. "Oh, you're not getting enough protein" blah blah blah... I've been doing fine, so far, thanks. Grrrrrr.

It's like, I'm not gonna give you a hard time because you eat meat. I'm not judging you. Why can't you do the same? It's so annoying.

Maybe this only happens here in Texas?

I just hate how every single time somebody finds out they are like "oh my god I couldn't live without meat!" and I'm like "well...you could...you just choose not to...my body has the same biological functions as yours and i'm surviving just fine thank you." I don't actually say that but I always think that.

I also hate when people ask me why I'm a vegetarian. I feel like explaining just makes me sound like I'm preaching--it makes me sound like I have better morals or something. Also if I do try and explain I always get that "you not eating meat isn't going to make a difference, you're just one person--you are creating no impact"

it's really frustrating.

I actually get pretty defensive and I'm like "I don't judge you for eating meat, don't judge me for not eating it."

^ Completely agree with the last two posts!

Quote Originally Posted by lucyinthesky89 View Post
    I also hate when people ask me why I'm a vegetarian. I feel like explaining just makes me sound like I'm preaching--it makes me sound like I have better morals or something. Also if I do try and explain I always get that "you not eating meat isn't going to make a difference, you're just one person--you are creating no impact"
    I really hate that, too. Why do people always try to do that? I don't see the point in attempting to make vegetarians feel bad. People ask why and then try to "disprove" you. It's like, what's the point?

Sometimes I just say that I don't want to eat animals and just leave it at that. It's easier. *sigh*

oh my goodness you are a vegetarian too

we really are like soul sisters or something

People always say that a vegetarian diets sounds boring.

But right now I just made a smoothie by just throwing frozen raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and blackberries into a magic bullet with vanilla soy milk and peanut butter.

I hate sounding like a commercial but it's just so delicious, nutritious and it's actually even vegan.

Yum yum yum

I feel like I am eating a bowl of icecream...

Lucy, why must you torture me so with your ever-delicious recipes.

Dying now.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast