Thread: Suggestion for the Ignore List: make it go both ways (completely blocked)

Obsessing over hairlines

Suggestion for the Ignore List: make it go both ways (completely blocked)

Is there a way the ignore list could go both ways? When I click 'ignore' on a user's posts, I would much rather that they became unable to see my posts, rather than myself not being able to see theirs. Even better: have it be completely blocked. Neither of you can see eachother's posts.

It becomes quite pointless, as other users (who you don't have blocked) begin replying to their comments, consequently allowing you to see what they've written anyway. Furthermore, the person YOU have blocked can still see YOUR posts (even though you have them on ignore). This can be really frustrating, especially if you have a user who specifically singles out your posts and tries to invalidate every opinion you have, and humiliate your opinions in front of other users. Especially when it's been going on for almost 9 months and nothing gets done when you report it

I would much rather the ignore list have the person I want to ignore become unable to see my posts, rather than me ignoring their posts. Even better: a complete block. Neither can see each other's posts. Neither can contact the other. If he/she can still see mine, and replies to it, more often than not, curiosity will kill the cat and I'll click "view post" anyway. Thus completely defeating the point of the ignore/block feature.

You have to be the bigger person. When you ignore someone, you don't give a sh!t about them or what they have to say. Like I ignore so many losers who live on this site, always replying to my flawless posts etc..

Obsessing over hairlines
    Quote Originally Posted by cocomoco View Post
    You have to be the bigger person. When you ignore someone, you don't give a sh!t about them or what they have to say. Like I ignore so many losers who live on this site, always replying to my flawless posts etc..
    I just laughed at this post so hard that my laugh went silent, all the air wheezed out of my lungs and my abs were like rock-hard for a good 3-4 seconds.

That was amazing. Thank you coco.

Obsessing over hairlines
    Quote Originally Posted by Malicious View Post
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha this too oh my god

In all seriousness this is a great idea and I fully support it.

Achievements

I don't like that idea tbh..
    It's just going to lead to more drama - i like to have some anonymity to who i block..

Obsessing over hairlines
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruspat View Post
    I don't like that idea tbh..
    It's just going to lead to more drama - i like to have some anonymity to who i block..
    But if it's even blocks, then it's like an MSN block. They can't see you. You can't see them.

The way it is now, you can choose to not see them, but they can still see you, and I'm just not here for it.

If I write something, and then someone I can't stand is the comment underneath and it says "This person is on ignore. Would you like to view the post?" then curiosity killed the cat and curiosity will always get the better of me and I will click "view." And thus, the 'ignore' button becomes completely irrelevant.

The most beneficial thing for double-sided blocking would be that, everyone in a forum would be able to block out a troll. And by the whole forum blocking out a troll, the troll wouldn't really be able to read ANY conversation because the majority of that forum had them blocked (for trolling/being a troll)

I think it could really help the forums, and if the technology is there, do it. Especially for the Top Model forums.

Major member won't like your idea.They like drama.I never saw so much fighting in a board.Most of fight are wasting time and mean nothing.I added top RTV spammer in my ignore list.But other user still rely it and try to make a war.Ignore list are best thing you can do .I will add more user in my ignore list after all. .

Yeah, I wish when you ignored someone you didn't see that big box telling you that person had posted. Literally idc, especially when it's someone who posts a lot you just get whole pages of these blank posts.

At the very least, I wish there could be some way to make sure quotes from an ignored member don't show up for you. You can put a troll on ignore, but it's pretty much inevitable that someone will take the bait and start replying by quoting the original troll post, and then the entire purpose of having that person on ignore is defeated.

I imagine there are limitations in the codes, though, so I don't know if there's anyway of dealing with that other than perhaps enforcing a "no quoting trolls" rule.

Quote Originally Posted by jesca. View Post
    Is there a way the ignore list could go both ways? When I click 'ignore' on a user's posts, I would much rather that they became unable to see my posts, rather than myself not being able to see theirs. Even better: have it be completely blocked. Neither of you can see each other's posts.
    Same suggestion here!

Quote Originally Posted by jesca. View Post
    A complete block. Neither can see each other's posts. Neither can contact the other.
    Yes please

Today, my prayers have been answered. There is script that completely blocks the posts of people on your ignore list, so you won't see a wall of blue boxes. I think it even blocks quoted posts.

Look for "vBulletin Total Ignore".