Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4/20 Episode Discussion - "Rice Wars"

Quote Originally Posted by GuruBishisama View Post
    Honestly, I have stuck up for a lot of unpopular Survivor seasons, but it's just absolutely awful to me that Jeff Probst would even dare say he thinks anyone would like this season. This is the worst season of Survivor ever, hands down. I can't imagine ever watching it again after it's over.

What makes me the most angry is that either Rob will win, deserving to do so but being the most anti-climactic and force fed to the audience winner of all time. The only other option is that Matt comes back and wins based on pity, becoming the first winner to have never even had to play the game.

The only good part of this episode was when Ashley said she'd rather die than keep Phillip. I actually lol'd at that.
    I like this season! So... there's at least one person.
    I can blink.

I like this season too. So two is a good number?
    Survivor Philippines: Abi-Maria | RC | Dawson | Penner | Malcolm | Pete | Denise
    ANTM19: Brittany | Darian | Kiara | Kristin | Victoria
    The Challenge Battle of The Seasons: Ashley | Jemmye | Trishelle | Frank | Melinda | Danny | McKenzie | Robb | Marie | Nany | Jonna | Dustin

I kind of like it too, I'm liking it better than last season.

I guess I stand corrected . I guess I'm more referring to how Probst said at the beginning he felt people would love this season, think it was one of the best... like, if you do think it's one of the best, I'd be interested to hear your reasoning--not for the sake of argument or anything, just out of honest curiosity.

I personally feel this season is hard to get into. I'm far more embarrassed for Rob's lackeys than I am intrigued or excited by how he's commanding them. I felt like Nicaragua had much more even handed editing and that alone made it a much stronger viewing experience for me. Plus, I really don't like the idea of Matt or Rob as a winner. I stand by the idea that the winner will always deserve to win, so I won't contest either victory... but it just doesn't give me any real excitement for the end.

I get that RI is a change in the game that is here to stay, but I personally think it's a change for the worse. HII's didn't alter the fundamental structure of Survivor--RI did. The social game I was so interested in has become a moot point. After this season, it will be far more clear that challenge prowess is key, because if you can get yourself voted out and then just win as many duels as possible, you can make the end without even playing the social game and net yourself a million bucks for the effort, which I'm sure is what Matt will do. Yes, he played the game by the rules that were put before him, but it just seems to undermine everything I personally liked about the gameplay aspect of Survivor.

If Rob wins, then I can't help but feel like I'll have wasted my time having CBS tell me what to think. Like, Probst has called Rob one of the top players of Survivor, and while he certainly brought a unique mindset to the game when he first played 80 seasons ago, he was absolutely interesting. But let's be real. Prior to this season, Rob played three times. He made the final two once and was voted out pre jury the other times. Rob has an understanding of this game, sure... one of the best players ever? I think it's debatable. If Rob wins, it will be clear that this season's entire purpose was to prove, once and for all, that Rob is as close to canonically speaking as possible, the best player of all time. And I know I've made this point a million times, but I can't keep emphasizing it enough--when you put it in context that Rob has played this game three times already and everyone else is on their first (and probably only) go around, it's just not nearly as fun. To me, it feels like CBS is so desperate to make Rob the best player ever that they've stacked the deck as much in his favor as possible. That's not exciting to me. If I'm going to watch previous players, I'd rather see them hack it out against one another. If I'm going to see fresh meat, I want an even playing field. Let it be THEIR story. I'm tired of Boston Rob's story.

And okay, not to slag on anyone's favorites, because everyone is free to like who they like, but a girl being cute, young and pretty and making it far to me isn't enough to say a season is good. If a good character/player happens to be a cute/pretty young girl, that's one thing, but I don't think that Natalie, Andrea, and Ashley getting carried to the end by Rob is exciting. They're reinforcing every negative stereotype about women with how they are playing, tbh. And I'm really disappointed in Andrea. I had much higher expectations for a supposed superfan.

I'm still waiting for Phillip and Andrea's vengence. It's so freaking frustrating.
    Survivor Philippines: Abi-Maria | RC | Dawson | Penner | Malcolm | Pete | Denise
    ANTM19: Brittany | Darian | Kiara | Kristin | Victoria
    The Challenge Battle of The Seasons: Ashley | Jemmye | Trishelle | Frank | Melinda | Danny | McKenzie | Robb | Marie | Nany | Jonna | Dustin

Yeah, for me this season is still kind of riding the high it achieved from the first few episodes, that, lets face it, were epic. Its really sputtering out though. Even I'll admit the last few episodes have either left me annoyed or bored.

Its mostly bad luck, the elimination order is BAD. Truthfulyl it all comes down to have R&R come back, its not the RI twist. They should have never come back. It doesn't make sense to have a 4 timer who's literally been playing survivor what, 8 years, come back with a bunch of newbies.
    I can blink.

Achievements

Just watched the episode... Ho lawd. Phillip is INSANE. I was so happy when Julie buried his swim trunks. And her line when she left was priceless as well.

I agree with what LaChunk was saying - the first few episodes of this season, were AMAZING; and ever since about the time Kristina got eliminated on Redemption Island it just hasn't been able to live up to the ~epicness~ of the first few episodes.

I really hope that Andrea & Grant wise up and flip to the Zapatera side of Steve & Ralph; but I doubt that will happen. Here's how I can envision the rest of the season happening:

Julie eliminated at RI with Matt & Mike.
    Steve voted out.
    Steve eliminated at RI with Matt & Mike.
    Ralph voted out.
    Ralph eliminated at RI with Matt & Mike.
    Phillip voted out.
    Phillip & Mike eliminated at RI, with Matt returning to the game again.
    At this point, then, it'd be Rob, Matt, Andrea, Natalie, Grant & Ashley.
    Rob blindsided. (RI is done)
    Grant voted out.
    Matt voted out.
    Andrea/Ashley/Natalie final 3?

Achievements

Rob isn't going to let Philip go before Andrea.

Spoiler:  

Quote Originally Posted by LaChunk View Post
    Yeah, for me this season is still kind of riding the high it achieved from the first few episodes, that, lets face it, were epic. Its really sputtering out though. Even I'll admit the last few episodes have either left me annoyed or bored.

Its mostly bad luck, the elimination order is BAD. Truthfulyl it all comes down to have R&R come back, its not the RI twist. They should have never come back. It doesn't make sense to have a 4 timer who's literally been playing survivor what, 8 years, come back with a bunch of newbies.
    yeah, Rob has made a perfect game but she has way too much advantage for his own good. "THE BEST PLAYER?!"Hell naw. Even if the producers dont like it,the best players are 2 woman. Miss Parvati because of making it far 3 TIMES,and in 2 of those games she was in the same league as everyone else. and Miss Sandra as the best, like.. she won her first season and then she came back being with a number of pros and she won again - Rob cant beat that

credit to Ejy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12