Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Idol lowers age limit to 15-28

Quote Originally Posted by RnRModel1 View Post
    I'm not fond of this idea. The judges always say they're concerned about whether the under 18's are ready for the pressures of the competition. Now they go and lower it?

And they better be ready for a lot of hate mail if they make fun of the young, bad auditioners.
    Agreed. =/ There better be some good ass singers.

Oh and Shelton. They're coming to New Jersey!!!!! Go ahead and do it gurl.

For the first round, you're going to be in a stadium FULL of loud singers and loud talkers, so it's going to be real loud when you audition. Pick a good song, yall. :0

Audition Cities:

Nashville, TN
    Milwaukee, WI
    New Orleans, LA
    East Rutherford, NJ
    Austin, TX
    San Fransisco, CA

I've never found the contestants who are the youngest to be the ones who succumb to the pressure of the competition. Honestly, I find it rather foolish to make out that all competitors under 18 are more likely to let the pressure get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruairidh1992 View Post
    I've never found the contestants who are the youngest to be the ones who succumb to the pressure of the competition. Honestly, I find it rather foolish to make out that all competitors under 18 are more likely to let the pressure get to them.
    I agree, but I think a lot of people think that because for some reason a lot of young people think that this is their only chance, their dreams will be shattered forever if they don't win, etc. but someone who goes in more for the experience and if your successful then that's icing on the cake, the pressure won't get to you as much. Most people aren't going in thinking "I'm going to win" but a lot of the young people are. I hope I don't get like that when I audition But I prolly will.

It says on the website they're handing out wristbands.

I WOULD LOVE IT IF THEY ACTUALLY PUT THE DATE & TIME WHEN WRISTBANDS WILL BE HANDED OUT.

this stone is flawless

Alexandria/Allison/ANGELEA/Dominique/Isis/Laura
    For ANTM 17

singing my heart's song duckiies's Avatar

Achievements

I think 15 is too young... I'm 15 and if I were in a competition with people who were 28 I'd feel really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton123 View Post
    I agree, but I think a lot of people think that because for some reason a lot of young people think that this is their only chance, their dreams will be shattered forever if they don't win, etc. but someone who goes in more for the experience and if your successful then that's icing on the cake, the pressure won't get to you as much. Most people aren't going in thinking "I'm going to win" but a lot of the young people are. I hope I don't get like that when I audition But I prolly will.

It says on the website they're handing out wristbands.

I WOULD LOVE IT IF THEY ACTUALLY PUT THE DATE & TIME WHEN WRISTBANDS WILL BE HANDED OUT.
    They have two days where they give out wristbands. It's two days before the actual audition and they start letting people line up around 3-5 AM on the first day for wristbands. Same applies for the actual audition day. The earlier you get your wristband the earlier you will audition. BUT just because the earlier you audition doesn't make any difference on wether you make it or not.

There are some people that producers interview while people line up that if they like, they give an American Idol sticker which lets the judges know to let you through lol. :D

AI sucked... since that troll David Cook won (actually since the Hicks won)

I don't think that's foolish at all.
    A 15, 16, 17, even 18 year-old's mindset is completely different than someone 24, 25, 26, etc.

it should be interesting.
    i think they should have lifted the age limit to 30, so Angela could come back <3
    [was her name Angela ? ]

Quote Originally Posted by youllseemeontv View Post
    I don't think that's foolish at all.
    A 15, 16, 17, even 18 year-old's mindset is completely different than someone 24, 25, 26, etc.
    It varies from person to person, really. Maybe you couldn't have handled the pressures of a competition like this at 15 but that doesn't mean other 15 year olds are the same.

It varies from person to person, really. Maybe you couldn't have handled the pressures of a competition like this at 15 but that doesn't mean other 15 year olds are the same.
    I'm talking in general.
    There are so many things to take into consideration that I don't think you're thinking of.

1. Parental guidance / Away from friends & family
    2. School
    3. Not even knowing who you are yet - so many things still changing and rearranging, there's a lot to deal with
    4. Not having a realistic grasp on the competition (i.e. it's the end of the world if I don't win, or OMG I'm totally a famous celebrity now and I'm gonna be rich)

Not saying it's always like that, or there aren't problems that adults would face, but most contestants underage would be much more dependent on a support system that might not be as reliable during the competition as it usually would. Then you gotta factor in the actual competition and all that pressure and chaos.

Yeah, not a lot of 15 year old kids know who they are as artists. Some are just singers, yanno?

Quote Originally Posted by youllseemeontv View Post
    I'm talking in general.
    There are so many things to take into consideration that I don't think you're thinking of.

1. Parental guidance / Away from friends & family
    2. School
    3. Not even knowing who you are yet - so many things still changing and rearranging, there's a lot to deal with
    4. Not having a realistic grasp on the competition (i.e. it's the end of the world if I don't win, or OMG I'm totally a famous celebrity now and I'm gonna be rich)

Not saying it's always like that, or there aren't problems that adults would face, but most contestants underage would be much more dependent on a support system that might not be as reliable during the competition as it usually would. Then you gotta factor in the actual competition and all that pressure and chaos.
    I took those things into consideration and I thought that you took them into consideration too, but I just think you're being too general. Tutors are available, friends & family often come to watch their performances, and you need to remember that everyone comes from different circumstances: some will have parents who will rope them in if they know they weren't ready, some will support them, some will basically house their children and not involve themselves with their children's pursuits, some kids won't be interested in having an education and leave high school, etc, etc. Just don't be so narrow-minded about the whole thing.

Achievements

I think it's a good and bad decision.
    It will give younger kids with dreams to be musicians a good go at it, and it's always good to search for more talent!

The whole mature thing is true too!!

BTW @Shelton : Choose a song you feel comfortable about, something fitting your range and most importantly STYLE, that also shows yourself off. So don't choose a song you love but doesn't suit you bur rather something which really makes your voice and tone stand out! Perform it to strangers and friends, see how they like it!! Best of luck!

IDOL XIV: Sarina . Clark . Rayvon . Quentin . Adanna . Joey .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12