Thread: Shawn

Achievements

Shawn

Grosse Pointe, MI
    TV Newscaster

Shawn, 32, is no stranger to the television camera. She has spent the past decade working in local and network news, most recently as the morning anchor and entertainment host for an affiliate in Orlando, Fla. Often starting her work days at 2 a.m., Shawn reported on four major hurricanes in two months, hosted Central Florida's version of "American Idol," and interviewed newsmakers from Hillary Clinton to Jessica Simpson. She holds a bachelor's degree in marketing from Penn State University and is fluent in Spanish, largely thanks to the four years she lived in Mexico City with her family. Shawn devotes her spare time to the Make-A-Wish Foundation as a "Wish Granter," working to fulfill the wishes of children with life-threatening illnesses.

Interview:

When will you consider yourself "a success"?
    I already do. When will I have achieved my dreams? When I move beyond the limitations of formulaic local news and am able to do something far more creative in television. When there is something called The Shawn Show listed in TV Guides everywhere. When that show is witty, inspired, full of substance and has nothing to do with paternity tests or trashy love triangles. When I become 'White Oprah' or female Larry King for the 30-something crowd. (Since life is all about baby steps, right now I'd settle for a few fantastic jobs and agents beating down my door, instead of the other way around.)

How would you describe your leadership style?
    I'm the "encourager". I use humor to defuse tension, push the envelope and get people to think out of the box. I set my sights, and those of the team, uber-high. Go big or go home, I always say.

How do you deal with personal and professional challenges?
    I step out in faith. Any challenge poses a tremendous chance to grow. The more excruciating it is to get through, the greater the inner reward. I speak from experience.

What, in your opinion, is the most important quality to have in order to succeed in life and why?
    This is a 2-parter. The ability to take risks and the will to never give up. You must always take risks, because where there is no risk, there is no reward. You must never give up because the moment you do, that's when great success was just around the corner.

What's more important: College Education or Real World Experience?
    Both, tremendously.

Have any previous Apprentice winners motivated or inspired you?
    All of the previous Apprentice winners seem to have made it to the end with a great deal of integrity and credibility. They didn't sell out their teammates or form fleeting alliances to succeed. That is a fantastic and often elusive quality in people who are competitive and determined to win. If you can make it to the end of this game/job interview with people still liking you and respecting you, you have climbed the Mount Everest of 'working world' politics, and lived to tell about it.

How do you combine your creativity with your business savvy? That's an odd question for a TV Newscaster to answer since I don't work in the mainstream "9 to 5" business world. What I can say is that it was my desire to find a way to combine my creativity with my business (television) savvy that led me to The Apprentice: Martha Stewart. I wanted to move beyond the limitations of formulaic local news and put my witty, entertainment-minded TV ideas to use within the Martha Stewart television empire.

Favorites:

Music: Don't laugh, smooth jazz. I'm too young to like it and my friends call it elevator music but I find it so chill and soothing. I also love Jamiroquai, vintage Stevie Wonder, and anything Euro-clubby.
    Books: Your Best Life Now by Joel Osteen; The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren; The Oxford English Dictionary
    TV: My guilty pleasures -- Gilmore Girls, Blow Out on Bravo, and Kept on VH1. For something higher brow, Poirot or Sherlock Holmes on the Biography channel, and anything airing on the BBC.
    Movies: Vintage James Bond and anything that takes place in London.

credit: http://www.nbc.com/The_Apprentice:_M...io_shawn.shtml

She's so dumb. "Fake it til' you make it?" Honestly, she was asking to be fired.