Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Arizona Reads Every Single Goshdarn Lewk In Project Runway History

Recap | Project Runway Season 3 | Episode 3 | Designer's Best Friend

Hi welcome back to Arizona finally stops playing Skyrim in her precious time off and gets her **** together and gets back to these reviews~

This week the designers have to make a look for "fashion's hottest accessory". It's early 2000's, Paris Hilton is still "so hot", so the accessory is a tiny dog. So they have to make a look based on the dog they get + a complimentary outfit for the dog

Highlights:
    - A moment of silence for Malan, who should've been kept for the lolz and the fake British accent
    - Kayne's hair... Just gosh, it's so bad
    - Laura interprets the "accessory" as horses, so she goes with a horse-riding outfit (and pearls), apt
    - TIM WALKS UP TO THE DESIGNERS WITH SO MANY SMALL DOGS AND IT'S THE CUTEST ****ING THING I'VE SEEN ALL WEEK
    - THERE'S CORGIS!
    - Jeffrey immediately goes for the "everyone picked the dog that is just like them" philosophy. But it's BS because he ends up with the corgi
    - Laura puts the dog in her bag "so I don't have to touch it"
    - Angela goes for a full Brooklyn Nine Nine undercover backstory: "She's a British headmistress of an art academy in Paris and she is making preparations for the yearly party"
    - Kayne and Robert have hideous fabrics and are gushing over them. Laura: "Oh, wow, mine's so tasteful compared to yours"
    - Robert: "So my story is about a Park Avenue princess.... I don't know, here's the thing about stories: I hate them"
    - Vincent makes a tiny hat for his tiny dog, which he apparently thinks is the most hilarious thing ever because he is just hysterically laughing
    - Keith and Laura are yapping at each other. Keith, in a weird Freudian fit: "Laura... she's bad mommy. I had a good mommy. She's bad mommy"
    - IVANKA TRUMP IS THE GUEST JUDGE WOW watching this in 2018 hurts more now
    - Uli's dog's jacket says "Hi Ladies" and that's such gay vibes I love it

Lewks:

WIN
      Spoiler:  

Uli mixed a bunch of boho patterns because she felt her pug was "funky". Not mad at this at all, it's very Uli & very cute

HIGH
      Spoiler:  

Alison made something kinda cute and preppy. It fits the poodle without being too stereotypically "poodle", ya know?

Bradley went for very deflated soufflé boobs. I don't really hate it though, I get why the judges liked it. There's a definite type of businesswoman who would buy this stuff

SAFE
      Spoiler:  

Jeffrey made a Santino-babydoll with even more boob action

Laura made exactly the right look for a rich 70 year old with a pomeranian

Michael made something that in the current age would scream "I really want to look like Kylie Jenner but I can't afford her clothes!"

Kayne made a look for last season's Barbie challenge

Bonnie made a cute mod costume

Vincent also made a cute mod costume, but in his case, his dog drew all the attention by desperately trying to remove its hat constantly. Poor doggo

Robert's dog was called Chanel and honestly that kinda says everything you need to hear about this look

BOTTOM
      Spoiler:  

Keith was so far up his own ass that he decided not to make an outfit for his dog, because that would fit his "story" better (conveniently). The girl's dress is ok

Angela... gosh, I don't even know if I want to read her outfits because her design aesthetic is the worst kind of mom in her 40's who deeply believes in astrology and really wants to be cool and hip. It's so ugly... and cheap-looking.... aaah

OUT
      Spoiler:  

Katherine went with a boring green dress that made her model's boobs look weirdly elongated and flat

If Malan had stayed, between him and Bradley, they might have balanced out the creepy weird of Vincent and Keith with lovable goof ball wackiness. I feel like Catherine, Bonnie and Alison were kind of interchangeably underwhelming. So I wasn't sad when they went. Angela outfit was so awful in this challenge and her story was such a hot mess but I'm glad they kept her around for longer.

Recap | Project Runway Season 3 | Episode 4 | Reap What You Sew

This ep, the designers have to create a look for INC, at Macy's. And then they're told they have to work in teams of three. Also they only got a hundred bucks.

Highlights:
    - Jeffrey: "Keith! The judges love that guy. His finest attribute is that he's a big big bull****ter"
    - Angela is picked as a team leader, and the soundtrack does that metal-scrappy shady rattlesnake sound immediately and everyone just rolls their eyes
    - Robert is explaining his look to his team and Vincent just immediately starts shaking his head
    - Keith smooth-talks his way into getting more materials than his budget allows for
    - Bradley: "Bonnie doesn't seem to like me. Maybe if I shaved off my beard, if I just left my moustache... Maybe then she will like me"
    - THE PATTERN BOOK SCANDAL!
    - It starts with Kayne, Michael and Robert talking about Keith having pattern books and getting more and more dramatic with every word
    - Also Keith apparently just left for a bit and then came back
    - So Tim tells him he's disqualified while Kayne and Vincent are reading stuff and badly pretending not to eavesdrop
    - But like... I thought this was gonna be way more dramatic, and it's kinda .... meh? It's maybe because Keith talks like he's on valium and nobody slams a camera into the ground
    - I'm pretty sure Laura calls Keith an "assf*ck" though, so that makes up for it
    - Robert: "Vincent keeps disagreeing with me and he's entitled to his wrong opinion"
    - Angela is making a bunch of rosettes. Laura and Michael are laughing about it. Laura: "She's in there making... her grandma"
    - The judges ask Bradley what he thought of the look and he tries to be nice, but ends up saying "It's very close to what it was in the sketch" which is just the biggest read because the look is butt-ugly

Lewks:

WIN
      Spoiler:  

Angela (paired with Michael and Laura) had her crazy aesthetic toned down by her team members and turned out these super hot pants and little jacket. Not sure about the colour of this top, but I like this look

Spoiler:  

Jeffrey and Allison (previously with leader Keith) made a goooorgeous coat and sexy pants but then paired it with this super weird top thing that is a turtleneck mixed with a tanktop worn upside-down.

BOTTOM
      Spoiler:  

Robert (paired with Kayne and Vincent) made this weird mix between grandma, French maid, sex kitten and parka. I actually really like the parka, the outfit underneath is just ???

OUT
      Spoiler:  

Bonnie (paired with Bradley and Uli) made this autumny 70's-y snoozefest that was pretty poorly made

Stray note: it's nice to actually like the clothes again!

yeah the pattern book scandal seems like early Reality TV, before they learned to work this stuff up to a frenzy.

I am lp ing this thread. Always loved PR and followed seasons 1-4 and 10 (plus a few episodes of 9) in their original run. Rewatched 1-4 the past couple of weeks and am onto 5 now and while fun, it does not measure up against the first 4 favorably. I hope you continue this. S3 has my favorite characters.

This thread is so fun!! Just finished reading the whole thing. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, and I've watched every season, minus a few from last one which I wasn't really in the mood for. I hope you continue cuz there are some great designs in later seasons imo <3

Hi everyone! Have been putting this off for a bit but I'm just finding myself way too busy to actively/regularly contribute to this thread. I've got a real nice job, I'm working on my health & fitness, I'm almost 26 (grandma status for this forum) and also I'm getting married this year (woop woop!).

I've just noticed that I'm not on RTVG a lot anymore, aside from occassionaly checking if there's updates on certain NTM contestants and lurking on the Drag Race threads every now and then. And if I'm on RTVG, I'm on my phone, which is not ideal for formatting a ProjRun recap.

So unfortunately, I'm not gonna continue these recaps the way that I've been doing, because then I'll still be here 30 years from now before this whole project is finished up. You have all been really kind in your comments on this thread, and I do still really like being awful about other people's hard work on reality tv Soooooo I would like to still sort of bring you thoughtfully bitchy ProjRun recaps, but in a different way.

So my solution is: you guys request episodes for me to read. I'll try to do those (as long as I can find the episodes online - the older ones are on Dailymotion, I have access to seasons 7-10 through Netflix, if y'all have a streaming link yourself you can put it with your request), and then we can sort of keep the spirit of this thread alive :D

I'm requesting the Season 10 finale for myself because I have (probably essay-length) thoughts(TM) on that.

So yeah: thanks for your support and comment with episodes you want me to talk about! I'll hopefully format the 1st post in this thread eventually so everything is easily findable.

Recap | Project Runway Season 10 | Episode 13 | Finale, Part I

The season 10 finale is one of my all-time favourite Project Runway episode (/set of episodes), because it very clearly shows that Project Runway is essentially 2 competitions. One is the challenges, where the designers have to create a look to fit a particular theme/client/mood. The other one is the finale, where the designers have to show that they are capable of creating a unique, marketable brand that can put them on the market as the “next great American designer”.

These are two vastly different competitions. A designer can do very well in the challenges, but if they don’t have the stuff to put together a coherent brand, they can’t succeed in the finale. We’ve seen many designers make it to the finale and then just fall apart completely because they simply don’t have the ideas, talent, experience, or know-how to build a brand.

And this isn’t necessarily because they are terrible. Often they’re great, creative people. They also often just don’t have the education for this branding exercise and the show does absolutely nothing to prepare them for the finale. Zilch.

There’s no season finale that better showcases this massive problem with Project Runway’s challenge format than season 10’s. It’s probably why I love watching it and thinking about it.

So as a full pretentious Birdman-esque title, I would name this recap: Project Runway Season 10: Finale, or (the unexpected but predictable fall of Christopher Palu).

A quick recap, because I’m not doing this full season and I need to start with getting a feel of who these designers are and what they did in the competition. I’m putting them in the order that seems most logical they would end up in at the end of this season:
    Christopher has pretty much nailed the competition thus far. He has had 4(!) challenge wins, the judges love his darkly romantic looks. He’s had only 2 low-points: one wasn’t his fault (team challenge, Andrea obviously dragged him down) and one was the print challenge, where the reunion with his mom put him in a weird emotional state. Other than that, he’s the clear front runner.

Dmitry is our Eastern European dreamboat. He’s been hailed as the best sewer – his work is technically impeccable. The judges have been a bit conflicted about his design aesthetic. He’s never been in the bottom, but he has mostly been safe. He raked in 2 challenge wins and has been high in only 4 other episodes.

Melissa has done decently, winning one challenge, but being high for quite a few of the others. Her only low point was the dumb baby challenge. She has a clear design aesthetic, but she’s not popped in the way Christopher has done.

Fabio is the dark horse here. He also has one challenge win, but he’s been in the bottom more than the other three designers. For a long time in the competition, it felt like he wasn’t reaching his potential. It’s still unsure whether or not he has fully done that. As viewers, we’re expecting the least from him at this point.

Tim visits the designers and they all showcase a preview of 3 looks from their collection to the judges. They believe one of them is going to be eliminated. My favourite moments here:

• Tim is greeted at Christopher’s house by a table full of cake. He says: “This looks so very… caloric”
    • Tim starts off Fabio’s critique very well and then the longer he looks at the clothes, the more he hates it. He uses “to be blunt” thrice. Yikes, Fabio!
    • Tim to Dmitry: “In five years, where do you want to see yourself?” / Dmitry: “Rich and famous!”
    • Melissa’s parents are probably the least stylish people ever and the dichotomy between them and her & her boyfriend (sleek, in all black) is hilarious
    • In the workroom, they have moments from the show as pictures on the walls. One of them is Elena yelling at Sonjia, lol
    • Poor Fabio is so nervous on the runway
    • Michael Kors makes a comment about how he likes that Fabio has colour and then just seems to look at the other 3 designers and their black-and-white/dark collections in a shady way

Lewks

Dmitry
      Spoiler:  

Here, Dimmie used his 'floating panels' cutout technique that he displayed earlier in the competition, and I think he's truly mastered that technique with this dress. It's very well made, but at the same time it's also quite overdesigned. I just can't see anyone realistically wearing this in any real-life scenario.

I like these pants in motion, but something about them seems ill-fitting on this picture. Also I just really ****ing hate this sheer top he made with it. This look needs a jacket and like 80% less '80s.

The jacket is bomb, but I just can't understand why he paired this with such a mumsy skirt.

Christopher
      Spoiler:  

I get 'chick that has a motorcycle but purely as a fashion accessory vibes'. It's got something cutesly sexy, but also, I could probably pick up this whole look at H&M.

The last look was rocky, this is more 'sexy girl on Instagram who wants to be a Kardashian'. Ahead of your time with this barely-there look, Chris!

The psychoanalyst in me loves his print, but like... boring.

Fabio
      Spoiler:  

The pants have fit issues (zipper’s a bit wonky) and the proportions aren’t exactly there for this look. Which is a shame, because the drape-y blazer is gorgeous.

I’m almost getting straightjacket vibes here. The top isn’t flattering on anyone with a boobsize bigger than nonexistent and the skirt makes her butt look weirdly big, but it does have good, fresh vibes. The necklace and especially the bag are fab.

I like the draped elements, but this just looks like a dirty rag mostly.

Melissa
      Spoiler:  

The proportions of this are way off, it makes her model look square-ish. Mostly it just looks like she forgot to put on a shirt. The shorts are exquisite, though, but this look is doing them 0 favours.

Love the pants, those are hot. I like how she made the jacket the focal piece, but I just hate the gigantic cuffs and collar. It looks pirate-y and overworked.

It's a perfectly fine, sexy dress. Would've worked better in a bolder colour.

Stay tuned for part 2, in which I go full essay on y'all.

Recap | Project Runway Season 10 | Episode 14 | Finale, Part 2

OK, so part 1 was long, but this one is gonna be a thesis, lol. Prepare thyself.

It’s the day after the judges’ critiques and basically from the way the contestants are reacting, you can tell who the top 2 is going to be.

Fabio is focused on “luxe”, knows he has to make a couple more pieces to hone his collection and up the sophistication level. Dmitry works on restyling his collection to take his looks from matronly to young and sexy. All’s good on the chill end of the room, our top 2 is looking focused.

Christopher is devastated. He is confused by the judges’ critiques and he mostly looks like someone in his family just died. He walks around dejected and uninspired at Mood. Melissa is still unsure of herself and a little stressed out, but she hasn’t taken the astronomical hit that Christopher has. She is devoting time she doesn’t have to making a super complicated piece, while he is just frantically adding even more items to his already hefty amount.

It’s interesting to watch Christopher spiral down in this episode. It’s kind of heart-breaking and frustrating too. You essentially just want to shake him and tell him to take a sec to center himself and focus on the pieces he already has (Tim tries it, but fails). But it’s like the fact that the judges gave him negative feedback has sent him into a long panic attack.

It’s most exemplified in the exchange he has with Tim at the end of the workday:
    Tim: “Why do you look so stressed out? You were ready this morning!”
    Christopher: “No, I wasn’t, I have – I had two more looks to make”
    Tim *incredulous face*: “Oh, that’s RIDICULOUS! You don’t have two more looks to make!”
    Christopher: “Y-yes… yes I do”

The complete stage of panicked defeat Christopher is in is written on his face. You can’t help but kinda feel what he’s feeling. He was THE front-runner before he embarked on making his collection. The judges ate him up (~he could’ve sent out a model in a diaper~), he had almost effortlessly moved himself through the challenges. But now, all of a sudden, they don’t get a single thing about his collection. They’ve called his clothes boring, tacky, cheap, dull, plain.

He looks at his pile of clothes, thinks of those critiques, and can’t like a single piece anymore. He frantically tries to make more pieces, because he thinks he needs them. While all he had to do was what Dmitry and Fabio did: chill, restyle, and make 1-2 extra pieces if needed. But instead, you see his doubt eating him up. He doesn’t ask this question, and maybe he didn’t think it and it’s all me projecting, but: “Was I wrong all this time and am I just not cut out for this?” is written all over him for me.

The problem with the format of Project Runway is that you only have to do good at the challenge at hand in order to progress in the competition. Because there is a massive time limit, you have basically no time to think about the ideas behind your clothes, you have no time to reflect on your design philosophy or your branding.

As a writer, I’ve noticed that my work can only be excellent if I have a distinct purpose and philosophy behind the why I’m writing a certain thing. I feel that applies to any and all other creative outlets too. As an excellent fashion designer, it’s not enough to just make pretty clothes that people want to buy. You need to have a distinct design aesthetic, but more than that, you need to have a distinct voice, you need to fully understand what you want to say with your designs in this particular collection.

This might sound a bit abstract, so to illustrate that, I’d like to bring up my all-time favourite collection of clothing of all time: Alexander McQueen S/S 2010. Essentially, McQueen’s inspiration point was the imminent ecological destruction of our planet. He imagined humankind devolving back into sea creatures due to the melting of the ice caps, becoming strange, uncanny hybrid creatures.

I could spend massive amounts of paragraphs detailing how he brought this vision to life. The digital nature-inspired prints as metaphors for humanity’s hyper-involvement in nature and twisting it into something inorganic. The Eve imagery with the snake video showing how we are corrupting our environments. The shoes showing both the crippling effect the destruction of our planet will have on us and the idea of us morphing into animal forms. The digital cameras on the runway showing how we’re watching our own corruption go down to the last details, but doing nothing to stop it. The cuts of the dresses, the hair, the make-up…

This show is so incredibly rich, the concept so incredibly well executed in every single element, without any of it feeling gimmicky or over-designed. And even if you don’t know the backstory or the concept, you can still feel the emotion and raw vulnerability of this collection. I personally feel like it expresses loneliness and alienation and feeling trapped in your own body in a way that very few other artworks have done.

There is absolutely no time within the confines of a Project Runway challenge to even begin to broach the kind of depth you need for a truly excellent runway show. It’s why a lot of designers interpret their concepts so literally on the show – if you only have 5 minutes to really think about it, of course you’re gonna end up with “inspired by the sea, so blue waves on my dress”.

To win the challenges, you have to approach them with some good smarts. You have to be inventive and creative and talented, yes, but you don’t actually have to philosophise anything. You just have to come up with an appealing, simple concept that you can execute in the time you have. And, to paraphrase Wendy Pepper: you just have to be better than 1 person, each time.

That’s different when it comes down to a collection, which is the real, actual test. You can’t create a successful, memorable, cohesive collection without a philosophy. But in the actual competition, you have no space to practise applying such a philosophy to tangible work.

It’s why a lot of ProjRun final collections don’t go very much further than “yep, those are some really nicely made clothes, I’d probably wear them, and oops now it’s 5 minutes later and I’ve completely forgotten about what it actually was”. Think about it: what finale collections do you actually properly remember (the whole collection, not just one look)? I personally can’t come very much further than Mondo, Fabio, Michelle and Leanne. Maaaaaybe Sean Kelly, but I feel that’s stretching it a little bit, honestly. That has very little to do with how recently I’ve seen those collections, by the way.

Christopher falls apart here because he feels inadequately prepared. And he is, but that’s not particularly his fault. It’s just that he hasn’t realized that Project Runway is 2 competitions and he was never ready for the second one in the first place. Which has nothing to do with his talent, I think, more so with his lack of experience at the time & the fact that Project Runway is basically the worst platform to try and develop your design voice on.

Fabio and Dmitry, who both already kinda had a pretty clear idea of what their design philosophy is before they entered the competition, are relaxed and chilled. Melissa’s insecurity is, to me, a little misplaced here, actually. I feel she should’ve been in the same boat as the chill duo. She seems to have a very firm grasp on who her girl is.

So when Tim walks into the workroom with a big bottle of Moët and tells the designers that this was it, Dmitry delightedly exclaims: “Oh! Alcohol!” and Christopher walks in with his face in his hands, dejected.

OK, so that’s my essay and my empathy there. Let’s go be mean about the final looks now!

I do want to note that there’s some shots of Mondo in the audience and he has a very thick handlebar mustache. Just wanted to point that out, it delights me.

Christopher
      Spoiler:  

Christopher was inspired by an X-ray his mom got after a traffic accident, so he made it into a print. He called it "hauntingly beautiful", but at no point does he talk about how he developed that initial point of inspiration into a more in-depth thing he wants to say with this collection. It was an arresting image, but I'm missing the pain, angst, Freudian exploration, or any other emotional element Christopher could've explored through his initial inspiration. He just set out to make pretty, sophisticated clothes. It's (quite forgettable) style over substance. And there's 0 cohesion.

Holy slit, Batman! This look is sleek and sexy, but we've seen this technique on the top a lot now, Chris.

The skirt has a really awkward length and it looks boxy. The top’s cool, though.

I really like the jacket, but this whole thing looks like a Paris Hilton-type person at like 6 am after a long night of hooking partying.

Yeah, still don't really like this.

This coat is stunnnnnning, but drunk party girl who wore those shorts would not wear this.

Hey Shei (I just saw Shei, gurl). Like the pants, like the vest, don’t like this whole look together. It doesn’t feel like it actually meshes with each other.

This needed to be a suit. Not sure about the proportions, and again, the pairing of the two pieces feels a little bit off, tone-wise.

Hey Sandra (I just saw Sandra, gurl). I’m not keen on this colour combo, but the individual pieces are quite pretty. And again, drunk party girl would absolutely not wear this look. And this woman would not be seen dead in those bleached leather shorts.

Shows off the gorgeous print very well, but the placement of it + the length of this dress makes the model look a bit bulky.

The model can’t walk in this. It feels unfinished. And again: neither the drunk party girl & the businesswoman with the purple pants & blue jacket would wear this. It just feels like he had to put a gown in at the end because that’s what people do I guess, but it just feels so off with everything else.

Melissa
      Spoiler:  

Melissa prefaces the collection as "focusing on a new exploration of death to life". I don’t see that at all, personally. I would imagine that would come with a metric ton of angst, and I don’t think there’s anything angsty about this collection.

While this collection feels way more cohesive than Christopher’s, it is again just an assembly of very nice clothes. Melissa’s clothes are better, because they are very commercial and she has her customer down to a T. But I don’t really know what she’s truly trying to say or what she’s adding to the world of fashion that nobody else is.

This is just some real hot clothes. I get mild ‘70s Star Trek vibes from it and I’m not mad at that.

Love the clutch, the rest is OK. Nothing groundbreaking.

I don’t really like the two fabrics together, it places weird emphasis on the model’s hips. But it’s fine.

This is super hot. Again, mild scifi vibes that I’m digging.

Also fine, love the pants.

Not a fan of the sideboob or the racerback, but it’s ok, I guess.

The leather reads a bit as toilet paper. I get why she did the cutout to bring in the waist a little bit, but the cutout is just really ugly.

Still don’t like the proportions in the combination of these shorts and that crop top. The jacket is absolute killer, though, I want it right now.

The model can’t walk in this because it’s too tight on the bottom, and it’s so awkward. It feels unfinished in multiple areas. Also hiya sideboob.

Heyy, it's Blood Orange! Again getting mild Star Trek vibes from this dress, and it reminds me that I like her tight dresses with square collars 100% better if they're not black.

Dmitry
      Spoiler:  

So first off, he’s wearing leather pants and a black shirt and man… such a snack. I’d assume he’s gay, but like, he can get it. Anyway, Dmitry was inspired by “organic architecture”. I mostly got a lot of ‘80s. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but again… I just again don’t really see what Dmitry’s specific voice is here, or what he’s adding to the conversation. He did very well with listening to the judges and upping his styling, but even with that, I think you just can’t deny that some of these looks are just too old-fashioned and matronly still.

I think the biggest problem that I have is that there’s no emotional element to these clothes. I have that problem with Melissa and Christopher too. They’re fine clothes, but I don’t feel them the way I do Fabio’s.

The dress vibes so much better with the new styling, and it feels a little more like someone would actually wear this. I think it needs a simple leather jacket and a darker-skinned model (b/c of the colour of the mesh).

Would've been hot if the skirt had been pants in the same material. Now it feels matronly, even with the better styling.

Still hate this combination. Still should've had a matching jacket.

So this is a figure skater or a ballroom dancer. Either way, Abba’s Dancing Queen immediately pops into my head. Also it looks like it has teeth and is eating the model.

So much hotter with pants, the mesh top still doesn’t work with this for me.

'S okay.

Super matronly. I can't imagine a young person wearing this.

I like the stitching detail. Not too crazy about the shoulders. Not super into this look.

Glitter! It’s cute!

Hey, it’s look 10, so that has to be a gown. Again, getting ballroom dancer from this.

Fabio
      Spoiler:  

I feel like as I’m thinking about his looks, I am engaging with them on a level higher than just “that’s pretty” or “ooop that’s kinda ugly”. I feel like I can connect to this on a much deeper level and I can start conceptualising what I feel like would’ve worked better with the philosophy behind this collection.

There’s an emotional sensibility to these clothes. I would probably never wear them – I’m more Melissa’s customer – but there is a depth and an intellect here that is missing from the other 3 collections.

It’s probably why he never really succeeded at the challenges, because he’s a hippie philosophising dude instead of a snappy quick thinker. He also has a much more sensitive design aesthetic, that doesn’t lend itself to the flashy clothes that normally stand out the most for these challenges.

His track record on the show makes it hard for me to say he should’ve won. He very much lost competition 1 for me. But competition 2, the finale runway – he’s the absolute clear winner for me here. It’s also a tricky element to the whole Project Runway format.

Hey it’s Danielle! The shorts are gorgeous, this whole look feels super fresh. Still love this vest, too.

I’m not super into the colour of the pants, I feel like the silky white fabric really lifts this collection up. The grey seems to drag it down a bit. Still, pretty draping.

The top feels more finished now, and I like that he opened it up to make it feel less constrained. Still not my favourite look, though.

The dress is ok, I feel like he maybe needed a long vest or a piece like that to layer on top of this too. The necklace is one of his less successful ones.

I like the slight peek of the shorts. This is a good one.

These pants are to die for, I love them. I think the sheer part of the top doesn’t work with it, proportion-wise. I think he should’ve done the bralette thing and maybe some type of vest?

A more successful application of the grey colour, though I'm missing a pastel element here.

I like how extreme this is in the layering without it losing a sophisticated touch.

(as an aside, Tim here says “You found the polish” and I first saw it in the subtitles, which are in all caps. So I read it as “You found the Polish” and got confused, which I thought was funny)
    This dress is lovely, it works great with the necklace. It looks so soft and luxurious.

I love that he doesn’t end it with a gown. There is a sensitive, kind of understated and humble energy to this whole collection, so a flashy gown wouldn’t have worked here at all. I like the layering here too, it's one of my favourites.

Before the finale, I had the order pegged as 1. Christopher, 2. Dmitry, 3. Melissa, 4. Fabio. At the end of it, I would personally flip that order. Christopher was clearly just not ready for this and made a collection that wasn’t particularly cohesive or interesting. Dmitry and Melissa both made beautiful pieces but an overall unremarkable collection- I think while Dmitry put on a better show, Melissa showed the most put-together commercial brand. I’d personally reward her for that.
    I don’t know that I can say more about Fabio than what I’ve already said. He was head and shoulders above everyone else and all of it had to do with concept and intent. I think the most important part of it is that he managed to succeed here despite Project Runway, because he kind of went against everything the show’s format told him to be.

Fabio and Christopher display both sides of the Project Runway coin here and their subsequent rise and fall in this finale is emblematic of the way this show functions. Or, in fact, probably doesn’t function. I think a *real* design competition shouldn’t necessarily focus on individual challenges, but more about philosophy and honing your brand. For anyone interested in a show sort of doing that, I recommend watching The Fashion Fund. It’s not what I’d call the perfect design competition, because I feel like we don’t have enough time to get to know the designers, but it does much more in helping these creatives develop their creative voice and their brand sensibility.

Either way: that was my almost 5000 word essay on the Project Runway s10 finale. The word of the day is: philosophy.

Let me know what episode(s) I should do next!

^ wow hey thanks for putting so much work into this write up/essay on the show's 2 tier competition aspect. i think you're right about philosophy/point of view required to make an interesting final collection. I had really hoped Fabio would win season 10 even though I enjoy Dimitry's personality because Fabio's clothes truly felt new. I think the judges kind of went with Dimitry because he felt like a safer choice money/business-wise.

when I saw your last post, I tried to think of one episode to nominate for you to write about but I can't seem to think of one particular one. I would kind of like to see your take on Season 4 Christian Siriano season so it would be cool if you had any episodes in that year that you'd like to talk about. But I would just be as happy seeing any of your write-ups on any episodes you'd like to talk about. I've watched all seasons although I don't remember them that much. Season 8 was also pretty divisive and had some awesome personalities so that would also be one I'd like your take on. Anyway good to see this thread active again!

Recap | Project Runway Season 4 | Episode 8 | On Garde!

Per @brb's request: Christian Siriano! I couldn't think of a better episode to talk about him than the avant-garde challenge of season 4, so here it is.

In this episode, the designers have to work in teams of 2 to make an avant-garde look inspired by their models' hair (the models got wacky hairdos).

Later, Tim announces that they also have to make a ready-to-wear counterpart to their avant-garde look.

And then they're told that the winning look will be in a Garnier ad.

Highlights:
    - Jack in the intro is one of the gayest things to ever exist and I still love him for that

- Christian about last week: "I know my dress wasn't that great. But, God... others were not cute"

- Ricky still lowkey reminds me of Mr. Slave from South Park (it's the caps he wears)

- Christian, after he gets paired with Chris: "Oh, all he does is costumes and crazy ****, it's gonna be fabulous"

- Everybody works pretty well together, but Jillian and Victorya are basically two ice queens having a diplomatic meeting

- Christian: "If I was a diva, my name would be Ferosh"

- Christian: "It's gonna be layers and layers of organza and it's gonna have this big collar and - ohmygosh- it's gonna be ahmazing"

- Ricky, working on the bodice: "Yeah, I'll do the apron in a bit, let me just bone her"

- When Tim announces the "twist", Victorya is just one giant eye-roll

- Christian: "We'll just do one simple, chic, little outfit. I'm not scared at all, HEH!" / Chris cackles

- Rami is basically going through this challenge in one giant panic attack because he's stressed by the fact that he'd be eliminated if the look sucks

- Chris' model, when her look is fitted on her: "Dislocate my shoulders, I don't care"

- Christian gives the models a walking lesson: "Ya gotta bring it back, bring it back from the side aaaaand TURN"

- Tim, talking to Christian and Chris: "So how's Team Fierce?"

- Jillian makes a mistake at the sewing table and swears at the machines and Chris cheers her up with: "You wot, ya mother****er, come owwwwn!"

- Sweet P: "I just hope Rami and I don't end up in some sort of fistfight"

- On the runway, Christian is wearing cowprint cowboy boots and Chris is wearing a leopard-print shirt. Cute combo.

- Victorya uses the word "leitmotif" while explaining her look

- Michael Kors on Rami and Sweet P's pants: "It looks like her ass is in her front!" (it does)

- Alberta Ferreti (she's guest-judging) calls Kit's look cheap like 5 times

Lewks:
    WIN
      Spoiler:  

Christian, paired with Chris

ORGANZA RUFFLE EXPLOSION! Honestly, looking back at this, it's just really silly and ridiculous. But it's also just so incredibly iconic and the fact that they made this in 2 days is insane.

The ready-to-wear look is kinda boring, but a smart, safe choice for their avant-garde look

HIGH
      Spoiler:  

Victorya, paired with Jillian

The ice queens were inspired by their model's 80's fauxhawk look and made this ultimate 80's glamrock androgynous ensemble. I love this, it's hot and ridiculous and my 13-year old emo self would die over it.

Yeah, it's OK, I guess

LOW
      Spoiler:  

Rami, paired with Sweet P

The avant-garde look is just a bunch of draped rags, the pants make no sense with it. I never liked Rami much and I remember crossing my fingers for his elimination during this challenge lmao.

Probably the best RTW look this challenge, but I'm mostly getting toga party vibes. But, like, high-end, rich snobby sorority girl toga party

OUT
      Spoiler:  

Kit, paired with Ricky

Kit's fantasy was this utterly deranged Gone With The Wind costume. I think if she had more time and less hokey fabrics, this would've actually worked. Her original idea (lots of different fabrics nesting on top of each other) could've really worked in an avant-garde context. But, um, right now it's just awful.

Yep, this is a dress.

So, to chat a bit about Christian. I think ProjRun, in their previous 3 seasons, tried multiple times to get a perfect OTT, ridiculous, zany and kinda arrogant character. They tried it with Austin and Santino, and in season 3, it kinda got split between Michael, Kayne and Jeffrey. With Christian Siriano, though, they truly hit the nail on the head. He was all of the things those other guys had been AND also a ridiculously talented designer.

Honestly, I think he's probably one of ProjRun's most talented contestants. His experience working with Alexander McQueen, Vivienne Westwood and Marc Jacobs definitely helped there. But considering he was only 21 while the show was airing.... I don't know why the other designers didn't all just **** themselves

But, yeah, Christian was super easy to root for and I'm glad that looking back at this show now, he's still equally delightful. (Tho I'm happy I picked an episode where he doesn't use the T-slur.)

---

So! What episode, season, designer, moment, etc. should I do next? :D

Hey girl! Do you mind doing a review for season 11 finale?

hey thanks for the review of the Christian episode and flash back to season 4 it was such a interesting bunch of characters. Chris was so awesome in his weird designs and infectious humour. So happy to hear that he will be the mentor on the revamped PR. He definitely have a personality for TV, I also hope his experience in the industry for several years will allow him to have some perspective and also some kindness to his fellow designers.

If you're up for doing a recap, how about S3 finale and the final collections? I love reading your thoughts about the collections!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567