Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LZF Ranks the Top 40 RPDR Lipsyncs

You... gurr, it was camp. wuchereria_bancrofti's Avatar
    I love MKD vs Kandy Ho's lipsync!

RPDR 9 : AjaFarrah Moan Kimora Blac • Nina Bo'nina Brown • Sasha Velour • Shea CouleéTrinity Taylor Valentina

AsNTM 5 : Cindy
    • Clara • Maureen

Spoiler:  

25. Season 6, Week 11 - Darienne Lake vs. Ben De La Creme
    Song: Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) (2012)
    Judges' Winner: Darienne Lake
    My Winner: Darienne Lake

As easy as it is to call Darienne delusional or overconfident, I couldn't help but appreciate how much she carried herself like a boss when her back was up against the ropes and then walk out of it like nothing had happened. That truly is best exemplified through this lipsync, she just stands so strong and assured while truly feeling the song. She didn't have to resort to any OTT tricks because she was just so in sync with the song and communicated it through her body language beautifully. Particularly the twiddling of her fingers, however subtle it may be, was perfect. She made me actually like and regularly exercise to a song that I once disliked for how well that she embodied it. The excitement stemming from the lipsync being between two bitter rivals was just the cherry on top.

Ben, on the other hand, looks entirely affected and awkward in the performance. Her delivery, while a decent effort, is just so disjointed. Ben was trying so hard to convey the emotion that Darienne wasn't trying at all to convey. Past performance aside, it would've just felt so wrong for Ben to stay over Darienne after that lipsync and I'm saying that as someone who is hardly partial to Darienne at all.

Spoiler:  

24. Season 9, Week 4 - Trinity Taylor vs. Charlie Hides
    Song: Britney Spears - I Wanna Go (2011)
    Judges' Winner: Trinity Taylor
    My Winner: Trinity Taylor

This lipsync is iconic for obvious reasons: one queen really bringing it and showing what she's made of as her opponent plays dead. And as one could tell from what I've said previously, this lipsync being so one-sided doesn't bring it down that much. For a queen whose style of drag doesn't really have any semblance of Britney, Trinity really captured her presence and sexual energy in this lipsync. She had just the right kind of tension in her movements and I particularly loved the sexual heavy breathing moment as well as the kneeling flip. She just looked so animated while not being afraid to have some fun with it and add a little of her own flair, particularly with the ass shaking and the spastic moment on the floor.

Oy yeah, and Charlie. Did. Nothing. LOL @ "most acts in London sing live" being her excuse. Honestly though, I was never that outraged or felt like she was unfairly taking another queen's spot while not putting up a fight. She let Trinity have her moment and Trinity certainly milked the hell out of it.

Spoiler:  
    http://dragracelipsync.tumblr.com/po...kenya-michaels

23. Season 4, Week 5 - Milan vs. Kenya Michaels
    Song: Madonna - Vogue (1990)
    Judges' Winner: Milan
    My Winner: Milan

This lipsync is possibly the most underrated ever? But I do kinda get it because the two queens involved in it are pretty damn hard to root for or care about. Still, considering that this lipsync was to one of the most iconic drag anthems ever, I'm surprised it isn't more remembered. Also, considering both of them were messy as all hell in their other lipsyncs, it's quite surprising that they managed to pull off a very clean, professional performance while still having an element of drama and unpredictability in order to make it truly ~drag~. Milan did her usual extreme poses, but with a lot of grace and without the element of desperation that you saw in her other lipsyncs. Milan's lipsync demonstrated to me an understanding of the true spirit of the song and the movement behind it. Also, Kenya moved pretty well and had great presence even though she had moments where it felt a little too sexualized and inappropriate for the song, but it's still pretty PG for Kenya Michaels standards, so gj. Also, them doing a split at the same time was EPIC and the poses that both of them struck at the end were quite fierce. Both provided a great match and truly embodied a classic.

Up Next: Two lipsyncs that include winners and a lipsync following a musical challenge

Updated ranking
      Spoiler:  

40. Kandy Ho vs. Jaidynn Diore Fierce
    39. Shangela vs. Carmen Carrera

38. Joslyn Fox vs. Laganja Estranja
    37. Derrick Barry vs. Robbie Turner
    36. Raven vs. Nicole Paige Brooks
    35. Chi Chi DeVayne vs. Naysha Lopez
    34. Alyssa Edwards vs. Detox
    33. Jujubee vs. Tatianna
    Katya vs. Alaska Thunderfuck
    31. Jujubee vs. Raven
    30. Alyssa Edwards vs. Ivy Winters
    29. Shannel vs. Akashia
    28. Detox vs. Katya vs. Alaska Thunderfuck
    27. Aja vs. Kimora Blac
    26. Shangela vs. Sahara Davenport
    25. Darienne Lake vs. Ben De La Creme
    24. Trinity Taylor vs. Charlie Hides
    23. Milan vs. Kenya Michaels
    RPDR 9: Valentina, Trinity Taylor, Peppermint

I love that Vogue lipsync. My favorite part is both of them falling to the floor at the same time.

I'm guessing next is Twist of Fate. There's at least 4 winner lipsyncs that I can imagine are likely on this countdown, so no specific guesses there.
    Tarja Turunen: Eternally my queen!

I love the Vogue lipsync, and am so glad it was included on this list. I agree that it's probably the most underrated. Milan got read for having such a boy look that week, but it really worked with the song. She looked like a time capsule. I don't know a lot about Voguing, but that look was straight out of a ball from Paris is Burning. Kenya was actually better than I remembered rewatching it, but something about her still just always makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable (can't wait for her lip-sync with Latrice to appear).
      Spoiler:  

I'm not rooting for anyone.

Darienne might've out lipsynced Ben but eliminating Bianca's only competition just for that reason would be like Aja staying over Nina. I think the LSFYL is an important aspect of the show but it's not fair to send a consistently good contestant home bc they were against a great lipsyncer who was also a consistent bottom 3 queen. Unless they pull a Charlie or Yara.

just realized I'm off topic now cause this ranking is literally just about the LSFYLs lol but anyway I always love how articulate and funny your writeups are!
    ANTM: Courtney, India, Justine, Marissa
    AsNTM: Dorothy, Layla, Nametha, Shikin
    BNTM: Jennifer, Olivia, Simone, Tallulah B
    CarNTM: Shamique
    PhNTM: Adela, Ann, Ina, Kim

I'm glad to see some love around here for the Milan/Kenya lipsync. It was an amazing performance by both of them with lots of energy and passion. I do agree that it is often overlooked because of the queens involved, which is such a shame.

Flawless ranking. Looking forward to future updates.

Spoiler:  

22. All-Stars Season 2, Week 4 - Alaska Thunderfuck vs. Phi Phi O'Hara
    Song: Cheryl Lynn - Got To Be Real (1978)
    Judges' Winner: Alaska Thunderfuck
    My Winner: Alaska Thunderfuck

This lipsync was just pure fun and both queens brought something totally different to the table. As I said earlier, it is objectively difficult to judge Alaska against her opponents in lipsyncs since she just has a totally different approach to lipsyncs (prioritizing characterization over choreography), but I just have to give her the edge here. She totally jammed it up in the best possible way and was a joy to watch. Of course, her cartoon-like runway look really lended itself to the performance and I loved every mannerism and gesture. She just had such a sense of humor with it where she was obviously mocking the concepts of love and sensuality and I was totally here for it. In that sense, it was totally appropriate that she closed the lipsync off with some playful middle fingers.

Of course, Phi Phi really impressed too and looked like a true professional Vegas entertainer. She embodied the love and sensuality of the song in a more direct way and it appeared genuine. Still, the sexuality of her performance didn't cross the line to where it took away from the light-hearted, thankful feel of the song. She had amazing rhythm and musicality and even responded very accordingly to Alaska invading her space. And of course, the pose she struck by the end of the song was perfect. This is one of those lipsyncs that's enjoyable not only for how well both queens did, but how well they contrasted with one another.

Spoiler:  

21. Season 3, Week 11 - Raja vs. Carmen Carrera
    Song: Paula Abdul - Straight Up (1988)
    Judges' Winner: Raja
    My Winner: Raja

This performance is mostly iconic for being the most NSFW RPDR performance ever. And I appreciated that it was to a song that I wouldn't expect the most overtly sexual lipsync from, if anything, I think most queens would approach it in the way that queens like Alyssa Edwards and Shangela would. But regardless, I lived for it. I think that both queens knew that Raja would obviously win, so they decided to lipsync with each other rather than against each other. Their obvious chemistry and the fact that both are damn fine sure aided this performance as well. Even if Raja appears a bit as the more sexually dominant one, it's really about the both of them throughout the performance. There's also a nice balance between the assertiveness of when Raja used her belt as a whip and the gentleness of when Raja softly kissed Carmen's shoulder. Hot damn. Not much else to detail, the steaminess of this lipsync obviously speaks for itself. There's a nice sexual fix for the day. Hope you enjoyed it xoxo

Spoiler:  
    http://dragracelipsync.tumblr.com/po...bonet-vs-april

20. Season 6, Week 4 - Trinity K. Bonet vs. April Carrion
    Song: Chaka Khan - I'm Every Woman (1978)
    Judges' Winner: Trinity K. Bonet
    My Winner: Trinity K. Bonet

The moment that Trinity established herself as the queen who you should be afraid to lipsync against, here it is. Both queens actually delivered very strong, passionate performances that worked well with the song, but ultimately, I prefer Trinity's because it feels a little more drag to me. Trinity looks more like a classic drag queen performing at a ball and capturing the true spirit of it while April looks more like a woman at church, which isn't necessarily the most traditionally drag-like setting. I appreciated how Trinity really used her wardrobe through her spreading the fabric of her dress through the air to fanning herself oh-so beautifully. Everything about her performance is graceful and powerful at the same time. And I truly felt Trinity belting the big notes in the song through the tension in her chest and the movement of her mouth. Yet, it never felt like she cracked or lost her composure.

And even if I ultimately find Trinity's lipsync more appropriate, I still appreciated April here for the intensity of her commitment and how she projected a lot more soul than she normally has as a performer. One can't say that she wasn't truly lipsynching for her life. Ultimately though, everything about Trinity's lipsync felt both sharper and swifter and she breathed so much life into a true classic.

Up Next:
    Rock, soul, and Britney

Updated ranking
      Spoiler:  
    33. Jujubee vs. Tatianna
    32.Katya vs. Alaska Thunder****
    31. Jujubee vs. Raven
    29. Shannel vs. Akashia
    28. Detox vs. Katya vs. Alaska Thunder****
    27. Aja vs. Kimora Blac
    22. Alaska Thunder**** vs. Phi Phi
    21. Raja vs. Carmen Carrera
    20. Trinity K. Bonet vs. April Carrion

Achievements

God I wish Trinity had been better at challenges, because she's one of the best lipsyncers and best runway queens ever on the show.

I'd have the other two higher - Alaska vs Phi Phi for having two pitch-perfect performances, and Raja vs Carmen for it being obviously iconic.

"I'm not into nipple play" -- Aly, forums administrator

Phi Phi really turned it out on that lipsync but I just can't resist Lil Poundcake.

Trinity was perfection. Everything was just right. April did fine but she did a bit too much for my taste. I feel like her energy didn't quite match the song at times but that was just my impression.

omg that Milan vs kenya lipsync here ♥ Milan is so underappreciated with how great she did that lipsync

I say Bebe vs Ongina is coming

I like TKB vs. April because while Trinity is obviously the most remembered, April wasn't horrible at all and could probably have won against a weaker lip syncer. I really like what both Alaska and Phi Phi brought to their lipsync, and I think you did well in describing how they showed off their different talents as queens. It was a nice surprise from Phi Phi too because it was so much stronger than her lipsync against Sharon in Season 4, which she definitely would've lost had Willam not been disqualified.
      Spoiler:  

I'm not rooting for anyone.

Spoiler:  
    http://dragracelipsync.tumblr.com/po...hara-davenport

19. Season 2, Week 6 - Jujubee vs. Sahara Davenport
    Song: Alannah Myles - Black Velvet (1989)
    Judges' Winner: Jujubee
    My Winner: Jujubee

This lipsync is pretty much the classic example of musicality prevailing over theatrics. Jujubee just sells the song with the right attitude, she looks hung over after a night of drinking away her problems and I appreciate the unhinged quality of her presentation. Her sunken posture alone adds so much characterization. You just feel this strong sense of personal friction when you look at her lipsynching the words. The image of her digging her head into her lap as her hand spreads her hair across her caked-up face is a striking one. I also give her a lot of credit for not changing her energy level or approach to the song even while Sahara was pulling out tricks.

On the other hand, Sahara's limitations as a performer were really highlighted in this lipsync. She was quick to default to the graceful ballet moves that she'd demonstrated in previous lipsyncs and lacked the grit that the song demands. That shows a lack of connection to the songs she lipsyncs. She would not let go of her composure while Jujubee wasn't afraid to go, as miss Tyra Banks would say, a little ugly pretty. This lipsync emphasized the importance of musicality and how there's only so much one can rely on a series of tricks before it loses its impact, which makes me very glad that this lipsync happened.

Spoiler:  

18. Season 4, Week 9 - Latrice Royale vs. DiDa Ritz
    Song: Gladys Knight - I've Got To Use My Imagination (1973)
    Judges' Winner: Latrice Royale
    My Winner: Latrice Royale

It's very rare on RPDR that we get a lipsync that demands a heavier, more serious emotion and this lipsync pulled that off without seeming at all out of place on the show. This was an excellent song choice that suited both of them, but Latrice obviously just dug deeper into the song. Based on what we saw of both of them on the show, I think it's fair to say that Latrice has struggled more in her life than DiDa has and also has stronger feelings on social and political issues than DiDa does. The assignment of this song to a lipsync really does expose one's life experience or lack thereof. I felt both Latrice's pain and her fight through the lipsync and it was captivating to watch. I appreciated that the beginning of the lipsync demonstrated her effort to insulate and self-stabilize and eventually, she just let go and gave what appeared to be a reaction to everything going on.

While DiDa moved well as one could expect from her, I don't feel that she tapped into the true weight of the song. I thought her performance looked very much just like what she'd imagine that Beyoncé would've done with the song. There was a sensuality to how she took off her dress that felt inappropriate for the song. Throughout the lipsync, she just seemed too focused on appearing graceful while overlooking that this is the exact kind of song to lose your composure to if anything. But altogether, Latrice delivered a very powerful, humanizing performance that I think very few queens on this show would be capable of.

Spoiler:  

Click here for non-jank quality

17. Season 1, Week 5 - Bebe Zahara Benet vs. Ongina
    Song: Britney Spears - Stronger (2000)
    Judges' Winner: Bebe Zahara Benet
    My Winner: Ongina

This is honestly one of the hardest lipsyncs on RPDR to judge and I believed Ru when she announced that the judges needed extra time to decide. It is yet another example of one performer being more technically competent and the other being more high-energy and as much as I did appreciate the "Bebe, you did the unthinkable by outshining Ongina" narrative, I still think that Ongina won. I felt a stronger and more genuine connection to the song with Ongina and while some parts of Bebe's performance felt powerful, others felt contrived and like they were behind nothing. I think that if you judged this lipsync off of a wide shot, Bebe would naturally appear as the winner, but if you judged this lipsync off of closeups, Ongina would look like the winner for truly evoking the spirit of the song.

Regardless, it is understandable why the judges would reward Bebe's performance, especially after their reaction to Shannel losing her headpiece during a lipsync. Bebe normally had a very prim, soft-spoken nature, so this unrestrained, severe performance was alarming coming from her. This lipsync was definitely one of the fiercest battles that we've seen on the show and also considering that it led to Ongina's shock boot following her challenge victories and revelation of being HIV-positive, it was pretty iconic.

Up Next: A lipsync between friends, a lipsync between enemies, and a Madonna lipsync

Updated ranking
      Spoiler:  
    33. Jujubee vs. Tatianna
    31. Jujubee vs. Raven
    29. Shannel vs. Akashia
    27. Aja vs. Kimora Blac
    19. Jujubee vs. Sahara Davenport
    18. Latrice Royale vs. DiDa Ritz
    17. Bebe Zahara Benet vs. Ongina

Jujubee's Black Velvet lipsync would probably be in my top 10 or 5 ever. Everything was right. From the outfit to the face to the hair to the emotion to the attitude. Flawless.

Latrice vs Dida was great to watch because they both really brought it. I think Dida would've won against anyone else but Ms. Royale was the real deal.

Not gonna lie, 9 seasons and 2 all stars later, I'm still salty about Ongina.

So glad to see the Dida/Latrice lip sync getting some love, it is easily one of my favourites ever! The next few look to be Music, Roar, and Point Of No Return as I doubt Cold Hearted Snake wouldn't make top 10...
    Team Jessica Wild for LZF RPDR rankdown 2016!!

Spoiler:  
    http://dragracelipsync.tumblr.com/po...-vs-jade-jolie

16. Season 5, Week 6 - Coco Montrese vs. Jade Jolie
    Song: The Pointer Sisters - I'm So Excited (1982)
    Judges' Winner: Coco Montrese
    My Winner: Coco Montrese

This lipsync is so appropriately just a burst of cheerful energy. I also appreciated the softness and joy coming from Coco considering that she usually has a fiercer performance style. As usual, her every movement is on-point and she's feeling the song throughout her body head to toe. I particularly enjoyed her skipping in place while her face was completely cheesing with happiness. Plus, it is kinda hilarious how she's lipsynching to this song in this crazy runway look. Jade also really held her own and could've easily won the lipsync against a different opponent. She was clearly interpreting the lyrics throughout the song and just looked like she was having a blast up there. I also credit both of them for really working the whole stage throughout. This lipsync isn't one that I would call powerful or iconic as the others that I would place this high, but it just has this light-hearted, free, enthusiastic feeling to it that I adore. It even is quite a bit corny, but I truly wouldn't have it any other way because it brings the most contagious kind of fun to the audience.

Spoiler:  

(Sorry, no other video that hasn't been taken down already)

15. Season 9, Week 6 - Peppermint vs. Cynthia Lee Fontaine
    Song: Madonna - Music (2000)
    Judges' Winner: Peppermint
    My Winner: Peppermint

Peppermint really brought something fresh and exciting with her playful, goofy approach to this song. I feel like she delivered a very authentic interpretation of the song that I wouldn't have seen coming from most other queens and it was probably the best thing that she could've done considering that she was wearing a long gown. She does all of the most infamously corny dance moves, but owns it with a certain attitude. She looks like a girl who was invited to this lavish ball with a bunch of uptight, elitist, bourgeoisie people surrounding her and she's just set on having fun, not caring about them, and possibly ruffling their feathers. This is one of very few RPDR lipsyncs that I can provide a specific narrative for and that makes me appreciate it more. Two particular standout moments were her dangling her earring over her mouth (the still of that is such a Madonna-esque image) and of course, the gun shooting.

I love that Cynthia even did a split and yet, you could hardly notice her. It was all about Peppermint that whole time. She really did her own thing with this lipsync and I'd be surprised if it didn't end the season as the clear best lipsync of the season.

Spoiler:  

14. Season 4, Week 8 - Sharon Needles vs. Phi Phi O'Hara
    Song: Martha Wash & RuPaul - It's Raining Men (The Sequel) (1998)
    Judges' Winner: N/A
    My Winner: Sharon Needles

This is a lipsync that was bound to be iconic off of the context regardless of the outcome. I don't believe that two queens on RPDR have ever hated each other's guts as intensely as Sharon and Phi Phi did on season 4. The level of tension that they had going on throughout the season is what most newer queens are careful about avoiding. They tried to put all their sh** aside for the Frenemies challenge and as a result, didn't appear believably enough as enemies, therefore landing them in the bottom. That's when they realize it isn't worth sh** trying to get along and both of them fiercely fight for their place. Sharon was looking so intense facially and brought the kind of characterization that I described Alaska as having in lipsyncs previously. She adapted very well to the song while still giving a performance that was truly Sharon Needles in its spookiness and grit. While Phi Phi's lipsync was messier (yikes @ the seizure and her wig falling off), I still appreciated her energy level and found her entertaining to watch. What made this lipsync so enjoyable was how hard these queens were fighting the whole time. It honestly felt like the climax of season 4 and I loved the intensity of it. Of course, this epic moment was ultimately inconsequential due to Willam's disqualification, but seeing all of their fire while they were on the line was beyond worth it in addition to the satisfying Sharonownage.

Up Next: A lipsync after a Snatch Game and two lipsyncs from two different AS2 contestants from their original seasons

Updated ranking
      Spoiler:  
    33. Jujubee vs. Tatianna
    31. Jujubee vs. Raven
    29. Shannel vs. Akashia
    27. Aja vs. Kimora Blac
    19. Jujubee vs. Sahara Davenport
    18. Latrice Royale vs. DiDa Ritz
    17. Bebe Zahara Benet vs. Ongina
    16. Coco Montrese vs. Jade Jolie
    15. Peppermint vs. Cynthia Lee Fontaine
    14. Sharon Needles vs. Phi Phi O'Hara

Sharon & Phi Phi <3

​​
    ASNTM 5: Dorothy
    BB CAN 5: Dre|Ika
    FNTM 6: Jerry|Juuso
    PNTM 2: Ina|Angela
    RPDR 9: Sasha|Valentina

To this day I do not get the unweathering love for the Sharon/Phi Phi lip sync. I tend to remember it not because it is great but more because of Willam's disqualification right after. It is definitely a good lip sync but not one of my favourites from season 4, which had so many!

Coco and Jade is amazing and I am glad it was included.

Peppermint has so far given us the best lip sync of the last three regular seasons imo (I found the season 7 & 8 ones quite underwhelming despite the very good few such as Twist Of Fate, Mighty Real, Call Me etc - Music was stronger than them for me)
    Team Jessica Wild for LZF RPDR rankdown 2016!!

Peppermints performance is one of my ultimate favourites. It's just so fun to watch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast