Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ellen DeGeneres to Join Idol

Ellen DeGeneres to Join Idol

LOS ANGELES – Ellen DeGeneres is dancing her way into the fourth judge's seat on "American Idol."

Fox announced Wednesday the talk show host and comedian, who admittedly has no formal music experience, just a passion for tunes, will join Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi for the ninth season. The announcement all but seals the departure of Paula Abdul, the original third judge who announced she was quitting amid a contract dispute in July.

Wednesday's announcement came as a shock to many of the singing competition's fans, who did not expect the Emmy-winning talk show host to fill Abdul's spot. DeGeneres told her talk show audience in an episode scheduled to air Thursday that she had been "dying to tell everyone" and would not abandon her chatfest. Instead, she will have "a day job and a night job."

"The times we're living in," she quipped, "we're all doing that."

Abdul had been replaced by a succession of guest judges across the country as "Idol" started next season's auditions, which will air in January. Among them: Victoria Beckham, Mary J. Blige, Joe Jonas, Neil Patrick Harris, Katy Perry and Shania Twain — but not the 51-year-old DeGeneres, who will join the ninth season following the show's tryout rounds.

"Hopefully, I'm the people's point of view because I'm just like you," DeGeneres said on her talk show. "I sit at home and I watch it, and I don't have that technical ... I'm not looking at it in a critical way from the producer's mind. I'm looking at it as a person who is going to buy the music and is going to relate to that person."

It won't be DeGeneres' first time in a reality TV judge's seat — or on "Idol." She served as a guest judge earlier this summer on "So You Think You Can Dance," critiquing the dancing competition's top eight finalists. In 2007, she was the co-host of "Idol Gives Back," the singing contest's charity event. She returned the next year in a pre-taped segment.

DeGeneres' has enjoyed a successful reign as the host of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" for the past six years, although her four-year streak as the talk show host Daytime Emmy winner ended this year when Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Sherri Shepherd and Barbara Walters from ABC's "The View" were awarded the prize for the first time.

"Beyond her incredible sense of humor and love of music, she brings with her an immense warmth and compassion that is almost palpable," said "Idol" executive producer and FremantleMedia North America CEO Cecile Frot-Coutaz in a statement. "She is one of America's foremost entertainers, and we cannot wait to have her join our team."

With the four judges' seats now filled, it's highly unlikely Abdul will return to her post on "Idol." Known for her sugary sweet but often obscure evaluations, Abdul had served as judge alongside Cowell and Jackson since the show's debut in 2002. Producers attempted to shake up the franchise last season by adding songwriter DioGuardi as a fourth judge.

Since departing "Idol," Abdul has gone diva, filming a cameo for Lifetime's "Drop Dead Diva" as a gavel-banging, glammed-up version of herself and signing on to host the live "VH1 Divas" concert Sept. 17. Abdul has yet to announce a steady job to replace her role on the Fox singing contest, but she told TV Guide last week she'd like to host a talk show.
    source:http://http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20...l_degeneres_19

Although I have to admit Im no Idol fan Im a bit shocked. I love Ellen I think shes funny and entertaining but really I dont she had a lot to offer to the show cause she not a singer,producer,etc. Remember when she judged SYTYCD? she wasnt helpful then....I could be wrong and she could be phenomenal but for some reason I doubt it.
    Never was and never will be

I'd love that !!! She'd be great, I'm sure !!!

Ellen

TBH, I wish she could replace Kara instead of Paula =/

I saw this in Yahoo and I was so thrilled.

The Nerve RTVGWiki

Thanks Estquer and Thomnom!

Oh Lord. This show is going to turn into a joke tbh. I mean I love Ellen, but what does she know about pitch, or vocals, or any of that music bizz stuff?
    wnsm25

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Oh Lord. This show is going to turn into a joke tbh. I mean I love Ellen, but what does she know about pitch, or vocals, or any of that music bizz stuff?
    I agree with you. I've heard from a few people that watch Ellen tell me that she's usually predicting which contestants will do well, go far, etc., but I still fail to see how that will make her a good judge when giving critiques. I do love Ellen though, she's hilarious!

TBH, I feel like Kara, Randy and Simon have enough technically know-how to critique the contestants on more technical singing aspects, whereas Ellen will maybe serve as a stage presence, star quality judge. Also, let's remember she is replacing Paula Abdul, who talked about "the colours of your voice," and how "gorgeous you looked tonight."

Shocked. It's a little wierd... she's not very credible. But yeah, like someone said maybe she can comment on stage prescence, etc...

But anyways, I'm happy cause she's hilarious and I LOVE HER.

I AM SO PISSED

This is my favorite show ever ever ever! Ugh! They messed with the formula last year and everyone said 4 judges was too many. And Paula quit and that was a tragedy, but they already had 3 judges left and most of us were able to deal with Kara by the end of last season... and now we have a judge who is no better a judge that you or me? Let me be a freakin' judge! WTF? Ellen? Did you see her judge on SYTYCD? She was horrible! Not even funny! If I wanted to hear her ass, I would just tune in to her freaking show! But I can't stand her show! Why was there even a need for a 4th judge? We didn't want a 4th judge! But if we have to waste our time listening to a 4th judge, can it at least be someone qualified? Did they think adding Ellen would help the chemistry between the judges? Maybe add her because there is no chance of flirtation between her and Simon? Damn this! They could've just hired me! I'd do it for cheaper. And all you would have to do is pay me in prescription drugs and coax me to clap like a seal. That is all that was needed to replace Paula. But at least Paula had experience as a singer and working with real idols. Ellen only has experience making bad jokes.
    This just does not work for me. Ruined my favorite show. I don't even know if I will watch. There were so many other people who would do this show. How many has-beens are out there in Hollywood? And they will work for peanuts! There are so many singers to choose from! I can name a lot of old girl groups out there and they all probably want work: SWV, Total, Destiny's Child, Spice Girls, Xscape, TLC, All Saints, En Vogue, The Bangles, The Go-Gos... so many. And then there are a million solo acts that are yearning for another chance at fame! Why Ellen? Why would she even agree to this? She will be responsible for ruining the best show in the history of television. I am just so not okay with this! Not okay with this at all!
    *Aaron~Mya~Kelly~*DWTS*~Natalie~Melissa*
    *Lisa~Rae~Lulu~*ANTM13*~Brittany~Courtney*
    *Althea~Shirin~*PR6*~Irina~Ra'mon*
    *Russell~Victor~*SYTYCD6*~Ellenore~Karen*

So random.....I haven't watched a full season of AI since middle school but I know the show well enough to know that Ellen is a stupid choice for a judge.

American Idol has sucked balls since Carrie won anyway. Just watch the X Factor instead.

C16: Brittani • Jaclyn • Mikaela • Molly
    Idol 10: Haley • Lauren • Naima • Pia
    Flavors.me | Last.fm | Facebook | Twitter | DailyBooth | Tumblr

Hi. I'm Austin, and I've a lot of catching up to do. (:

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Ellen but does she understand something about music?

Okay, at first I was like "I love Ellen, but wtf..?"

Until I thought...wait, what did Paula offer? Nothing. And she couldn't sing either.
    So it's really not a big deal.

What does Ellen know about music? I love Ellen and all but this is going to be a trainwreck..

AH HAYL NAW! I liked Paula!

Ummm....wtf?

I mean Ellen is great but this'll just be like when she judged on SYTYCD; entertaining, sure, but a complete and utter waste of space.

I am still fuming mad! She signed a 5 year contract! WTH? This can't be! Is is April Fool's Day?
    *Aaron~Mya~Kelly~*DWTS*~Natalie~Melissa*
    *Lisa~Rae~Lulu~*ANTM13*~Brittany~Courtney*
    *Althea~Shirin~*PR6*~Irina~Ra'mon*
    *Russell~Victor~*SYTYCD6*~Ellenore~Karen*

Achievements

must be September's Fools Day or something, it's really kinda bizarre
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast