Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANTM is racist and bigoted. (According to thenation.com)

Slaying your favs Murkywaterkid's Avatar

ANTM is racist and bigoted. (According to thenation.com)

http://www.thenation.com/article/ame...ns-of-bigotry/

If you thought joyless, whining SJW's couldn't possibly ruin/hate anything else. Whether it was Halloween costumes, or glaciers. They've now set their sights on America's Next Top Model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Pozner
    The author of this horrendous article is Jennifer Pozner. Her Wikipedia is as cringe worthy as you would expect.

This white guilt stricken, loser white woman tried to pawn April off as a helpless, Asian being victimized and oppressed by the evil white supremacists at ANTM and she was having none of it.

Spoiler:  

Likewise, Latina Top Model hopefuls were consistently typecast as promiscuous sluts, “naturally” good dancers, or bursting with machisma and ready to throw down. Semifinalist Angelea didn’t make cycle 12’s final cut after she got into a fight and was written off as hot-tempered, “ghettofied,” and easily provoked to violence.
    Well, that's projection if I've ever seen it.

And can someone inform her that Angelea isn't Latino?

Cycle eight winner Jaslene “Cha Cha Diva” Gonzalez, who spoke Spanish in her CoverGirl commercial, was called “spicy” and portrayed as a cross between a “drag queen” and Carmen Miranda. High school dropout Felicia “Fo” Porter, half-Mexican and half-black, was used to reinforce the “Latinos are lazy” trope.

TWICE. EXO. GOT7. LOONA.

AS4: Manila Luzon. Latrice Royale. Jasmine Masters. Valentina. Monique Heart.

Lol someone needs to do her research before attacking a national televesion show, thank you very much.
    Endorsing this fish

to be cast on Season 9 of Rupaul's Drag Race

Latina's are heavily under-represented on ANTM, for the last 5-7 years Latino's outnumber African Americans and all other minorities yet there is always only 1, 2, or none in each ANTM cycle. Jaslene, Marvin, and Fo were the only 3 to make it far if i remember correctly.

I didn't think Fo was used to show that Latinas were crazy... I didn't even know she was Mexican until now... hah
    wnsm17

You could write a book about all the ways in which ANTM is problematic, but that article is really reaching with some stuff.

In Planning: 45 Favorite Portfolios (Australia's Next Top Model)

Sheena agrees with her

Sheena Sakai -

"Jennifer L. Pozner Thank you for publishing the reality of this farce I am without words. You have served as a voice of the real human beings who have participated in this satire such as myself and have stood up to the mockery of the truth. I can only say a part of me went into it prepared and strategic however so young I was still very naive and excited that I overlooked other angles they would manipulate me in. Nevertheless I was pleased to offer another character in the hopes of breaking Asian stereotypes within the media, but regret not truly being authentic to who I really am and was."

Although the interview is a major overreaction I do agree with the part about stereotyping but it's not particularly a race issue. Ken Mok and his flop team cast people to tick boxes and to play a part in a certain storyline that they have mapped out.
    Last edited by EdenFox; 03-21-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Achievements

I think this brings up a lot of great points, even if some of the specific examples reach a bit. Reality TV, as a field, is definitely guilty of repackaging complete human beings as easily digestible and understood compilations of stereotypes.

Quote Originally Posted by EdenFox View Post
    Sheena agrees with her

Sheena Sakai -

"Jennifer L. Pozner Thank you for publishing the reality of this farce I am without words. You have served as a voice of the real human beings who have participated in this satire such as myself and have stood up to the mockery of the truth. I can only say a part of me went into it prepared and strategic however so young I was still very naive and excited that I overlooked other angles they would manipulate me in. Nevertheless I was pleased to offer another character in the hopes of breaking Asian stereotypes within the media, but regret not truly being authentic to who I really am and was."

Sheena is the biggest fake ever.

Quote Originally Posted by SocialJusticeJesus View Post
    You could write a book about all the ways in which ANTM is problematic, but that article is really reaching with some stuff.
    Yep, as much as I don't wanna chime in on the "SJW" hate, that article was really reaching. The only point that I agreed with was the one about Jaslene: I really do feel that the show and the judges were trying to corner her into an ethnic stereotype that wasn't at all representative of who she was. The article actually ignored what are the two most valid examples on ANTM IMO. Danielle was heavily criticized for her accent and instructed to change it while Yaya was criticized for her culturally authentic personal style that was deemed "overbearing." I think this article does a much better job at identifying the prejudices that have occurred on ANTM.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/c...ks_racist.html

Granted, the prejudices are still evident on ANTM to a smaller extent than the other article suggests and to a much​ smaller extent than those within the fashion industry.
    ​RPDR10: Aquaria, Monet X Change

I don't really care about the article, but ANTM's biggest fault is probably pushing the ''angry black woman''/''black bitch'' trope. There's at least one in each season.

God I can't wait until these crybaby SJW writers are out of a job and forced to flip burgers or gather carts in the parking lot to make ends meet. A waste of digital space.
    Snapping ghosts and ****boys out of my existence like...

Wtf I'm voting for Trump now

But being serious, ANTM is not the only reality show to stereotype people so I really don't see why this idiot author is making it seem like ANTM is the only guilty party in this.

ETA: And even though I eat idiots like these for breakfast, I do agree about Jaslene being boxed into the Spicy Puerto Rican Chica from Chicago. She didn't need to go around snapping her fingers while salsa dancing to Reggaeton every time she walked into the judging room.
    Snapping ghosts and ****boys out of my existence like...

I don't get the Sheena thing at all - she is not at all a stereotypical Asian.
    And for the April part.. aren't Chinese and Japanese lanterns the same thing?? If I saw a general "Asian" lantern, I wouldn't go oh that's so Chinese, or know the country it's from. That part was really reaching.

I feel like these type of articles and people just separate us instead of trying to bring us together.

Gina was edited as if she was struggling with “an identity crisis,” and stereotyped as an “exotic” fading flower who couldn’t stand up for herself when attacked by her competitors
    So her having an identity crisis is because she didn't like Asian guys and not possibly because she was still trying to find herself? And um.. you can call anyone exotic looking, even some white people like Alessandra Ambrossio have an exotic look. Exotic is - originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country. SO really anyone who isn't a plain looking American can be exotic or ethnic-looking, regardless of race.
    wnsm17

Quote Originally Posted by NikkySan View Post
    This.
    #iconic queen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast