Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Paper Wars • Rules, Announcements & General Discussion

Brains, Booty, Business VanityEgo's Avatar

Achievements

Alright, the new deadline is 2:27:59PM.
    I'll post the next Shuffle shortly aftee that.

I bid 1 point and Blue Arrow on Pink Multiweapon A.
    I bid 1 point and Red Sword on Pink Multiweapon B.
    I bid 1 point and Blue Sword on Pink Multiweapon C.
    I bid 1 point and Green Wand on Glowing Multiweapon.

Achievements

Maeve wins all 4 items.
    Shuffle coming in an instant.

Achievements

With 2 cards in their hand, the Soldier of Honour is...

Spoiler:  

Congratulations, Maeve! Looking forward to the elimination ceremony.

With 3 cards in their hand, the Fool is...

Spoiler:  

I'm having déjŕ vu~ Congrats!

Finally, the nominees are...

Spoiler:  

Maeve, you have 28 points in your War History.
    You get a free elimination.
    The Total War History is at -32; if you would like to eliminate an additional player, you may do so for free.

To help you with your decision, here is the total War History:

Maeve: Well, as much as it pained me to see all those Pink Multiweapons go to waste, it couldn't be helped! Someone altered the storyline. But let's keep it simple, shall we? Kyungran and the other one, please step forward.

Spoiler:  

Abbi, I'm assuming that you still wish to be eliminated as you have not updated me. I did not eliminate you previously because it was too expensive to do so. However, now I am not under any financial duress.

Kyungran, you did express significant revulsion over my continued existence, however I assume that you do still want to remain in the game regardless.

My programming does not allow me the full range of empathy, it's true. However, it seems to me that this decision is a simple one.

Spoiler:  

Abbi, you're eliminated. This is what you wanted, is it not?

Which leaves us with Kyungran.

Spoiler:  

You're safe. I'd make some kind of joke about "whore pit vipers" here but it would perhaps be in poor taste. So I'll just leave you be.

This loop is adjourned.

Achievements

Abbi, you are the last casualty if this Paper War.
    But don't go too far!

You're the last member of the jury.
    Take your set of cards, and have a seat while the Finale begins!

Achievements

Final 4, please take your set of cards.

Before we begin the Final Shuffle, I have a few questions for each of you.
    These questions are a way for you to address the Jury and convince them to battle you and give you some extra points.

• What position are you in right now? Do you believe it is possible for you to overcome any deficit?
    • Why should each Juror battle you to your benefit?
    • Is there any finalist you believe does not deserve to receive any more points? Why?

I'm giving you 24 hours to answer those questions.
    If you do not wish to answer them, please state so.

Moreover, if the Jurors have any additional questions for the finalists, they may use this time and the Final Shuffle to ask them.

• What position are you in right now? Do you believe it is possible for you to overcome any deficit?

I am currently in the sitting position, well its almost laying, but yes I would say sitting position. I believe it is very possible for me to overcome this by simply standing.

• Why should each Juror battle you to your benefit?

• Is there any finalist you believe does not deserve to receive any more points? Why?

Rosie x Candice

Vashhee/Zoe: Hello Final 4.

As requested by the host, I have some additional questions that I feel compelled to ask.
    These questions will greatly help me determine whom I wish to support.

• • •

Each of the first three questions require a 50-150 word response which must only involve formal text.

This means your overall response must be 150-300 words long plus your answer to the fourth question.

There is no correct interpretation of the word "tea" or of my questions.

You must include the following words at least once in your overall response:

"Plant(s)"

"Leaf" or "Leaves"

"Drink(s)"

"Shade"

"Growth"

"Oop"

"Eek"

"Dragged"

"Girl"

"Look"

"How"

"Orange"

"You"

"F*cking"

"Look"

"Girl"

Including a sequence of these words all in the same sentence without creatively including them within
    your responses will be considered a failure to adhere and uphold this request. You are permitted to use the word
    "F*cking" once without it being considered a breach of the above request for formal essay-like text.
    Yes, please use "Girl" twice.

Please answer these out of character.

1. "What are your thoughts on the existence of tea? Do you agree with the
    widespread societal consensus that it exists? How does it affect your existence?"

2. "What is your favorite type of tea? Does the character you chose to portray
    in this game also enjoy this type of tea? If you do not prefer tea, please mention a
    tea substitute that you enjoy and describe why you enjoy it."

3. "How does tea affect the choices and actions you made in this game?"

4. "When you hear the phrase - Tea exists! - what are the first four things that
    enter your mind? Please limit these to 1-5 words each.

i.
    ii.
    iii.
    iv.

Thank you and good luck.

BB: OTT • Whitney • Morgan • Shelby
    ANTM 23 • Kyle • Tash • Cody • Courtney • Paige

Rosie x Candice

Hi everyone!

First, I would like to thank VanityEgo for hosting this marvelous game. Lately, I’ve been relatively uninterested in Big Brother and Survivor, and more interested in unique game concepts, so I really appreciate the opportunity to play. As someone who enjoys creating weird games, it was fascinating to develop strategy and watch it unfold under the real-life conditions of day-to-day RTVG social life. It’s intellectually stimulating, as well as hilarious when complete (Trainwreck)s occur.

In order to break up this statement, I’ve focused on three elements that I think define my experience and performance here: strategy/gameplay, work ethic, and a sense of fun. We only have 24 hours which isn’t a lot of time to work with, so I tried to be as thorough as possible here. However, if you feel unsatisfied by the level of content in this statement and would like to ask additional questions, please let me know.

Gameplay & Strategy

While the gameplay largely took place out in the open, there was a fair amount going on behind the scenes that you may find useful to consider while deciding how to engage this finale. At the very beginning of the game, we were divided into two groups. Thinking that the groups would last for a while, I wanted to form a solid alliance that could control as much as possible without outside interference.

Since this game was inspired in part by the first episode of The Genius: Rules of the Game, I used the strategy in that episode as a guideline for deciding how to approach it myself. One of the main points that the narrators of the episode emphasize is that it’s necessary to form an even-numbered alliance, because the odd number of cards will cause odd-numbered alliances to have excess cards. Based on the fact that we were given 5 cards and could only battle each other twice, a pair was not a strong enough alliance. Clearly, I thought, having a four-person alliance would allow us to discard all of our cards as efficiently as possible, while coordinating to control the Soldier of Honor and Fool positions.

However, at the beginning, I was placed in a group mostly comprised of people I haven’t consistently with before. Originally, I formed a three-person alliance with BottleItUp and CupidStunt, because I thought that they would work well together and would want to team up with me. I knew that we needed to add a fourth person, but I figured we could at least battle each other to start with. BottleItUp suggested adding maybe to the alliance, and maybe turned out to be very interested in working with us. Thus, the alliance was born!

With a four-person alliance in place, we were able to discard almost all of our cards during the first several rounds, consistently earning a lot of points and controlling a lot of the power in the game. I took a lot of initiative in the alliance, planning our battles for most rounds. Available here is the spreadsheet that I used to puzzle out which battles would work the best for us.

Basically, I would come to the alliance with a plan for what we should do for the round. I did so with a lot of transparency (I feel), and rarely (if ever—I can’t even think of an example) were any objections raised to the plans that I laid out. However, despite this transparency, I did manipulate the situation in a few subtle ways that put me in a slightly more advantageous position relative to the rest of the alliance. For example, when I would script out our battles, I would script any battles involving me such that my opponent would always challenge me first. This was a safeguard such that I was never in a position to be left hanging if someone didn’t post in time to accept the battle, whether due to intrigue or malice. The only exception to this was the final round, where time was of the essence and Cupid and I had built up such a clear level of trust that no such manipulation was needed.

At the beginning of game, I figured that players outside the alliance would notice what was going on (since the battles are all public, after all!) I thought that the natural response would be for players to organize a four-(or six!)-person alliance in opposition to ours. You may have noticed that the Fool almost always was CupidStunt or BottleItUp. This was because I wanted to be the person in the alliance with the third-most points, so that if a counter-alliance successfully won the power, there would be two players above me to take the fall if we were nominated. As it transpired, no such counter alliance ever formed. Had I known this in advance, I would have tried to make myself the fool at one point to level out the point spread more, but I feel I did the best I could at planning with the information that was available. I had a side-deal with wccats in case things went south, which they did a bit toward the end, but never in a way that endangered my safety as I was never nominated.

Work Ethic

One thing that sets me apart, I think, is my work ethic in this game. As hinted at previously, I spent hours of effort planning the alliance’s battles in a way that would maximize our points and power while minimizing personal risk to myself. This extended as well to the group chat, where I would frequently prompt everyone trying to get the necessary battles to all occur. For example, I would often text BottleItUp with exact instructions for what to post when he was away from the computer, and coordinate that with other players on Skype. In other cases, I would have to scrap a plan completely due to unforeseen events.

In Round 3, where we got to choose 5 out of our 10 cards, I created a plan that would maximize our points, and sent BottleItUp, maybe, and CupidStunt a list of which cards to use in Round 3 and which to use in Round 4. First, BottleItUp failed to submit in time, causing him to have the wrong five cards. I had to completely redo the battles because of this situation. Then, one of my battles with maybe mysteriously failed. It turned out that maybe had sent the list of cards assigned to CupidStunt instead of the cards assigned to himself, so I had to redo the remainder of the battles again. So for this one round, I had to create three separate plans due to unforeseen developments. The point is that I was willing to work really hard for the success of myself and my allies, even when I was at times frustrated with the challenges in organizing four people with busy lives to be online simultaneously and following somewhat complex instructions.

Another element of the game that I controlled was the auctions. I was the only player in the game to use the auctions, and by posting at the last possible minute, won every single item in both auctions. While I guess this may have been overkill, I bought up the auction items to minimize the opposition’s ability to destabilize the alliance’s plans.

Fun

The third main point, and possibly the most important, was that I played to have fun. Like, as frustrating as this game was at times due to the organizational challenges, and trainwreck scenarios like everyone having to discard all their cards to cause rounds to end early, I think I got a lot of enjoyment out of the game. Westworld is my favorite new show, and Maeve is my favorite character from that show. I had a lot of fun roleplaying as her, and took extra time to make my elimination ceremonies entertaining for myself by using the best qualities of her character.

I also had a lot of fun working with my allies! I had never worked with maybe in a game before, but I really enjoyed getting to know him and the alliance chat became a fun source of commentary throughout the game. I also had a chance to work with CupidStunt again, who is someone I have only recently become closer with and I really feel like this game helped solidify a blossoming friendship.

Overall, I feel like I made the most out of this game experience, perhaps to my own detriment at times. I played a game of excess, overcomputing the possibilities for battles, overspending my points on auctions and eliminations, and overplaying the character of Maeve. The truth of this finale, however, is that I am a distant second in points to CupidStunt. While I would be very happy to see her win, as my close ally, I feel like I went above and beyond with my commitment to every aspect of this game. I haven’t won an individual strategy game in quite some time, and it would mean so much to me to win this one, despite it being statistically unlikely to occur. I played my heart out, and for an odd little game like this, stretched myself to take up the kind of leadership role I try to avoid in most games and in life.

I visit RTVG to escape the bland darkness that envelops a lot of the rest of my life. I’m not perfect and from time to time, I cause other players pain either intentionally or unintentionally. If you feel wronged by me in any way due to this game, I apologize for bringing that negativity into your life in what should be a fun place. I feel that it’s in large part something that emerges organically from the nature of elimination-based games, but it never feels good to be eliminated, regardless of the circumstances. Still, I hope that you can see that despite my rough edges and moments of unpleasant behavior, my heart is generally in the right place. If, for any reason you do not wish to battle me during this finale, I completely understand. However, I hope that you will consider helping me get as many points as I can, if for no other reason than to make this final round a close contest.

Thanks so much for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by Vashhee
    1. "What are your thoughts on the existence of tea? Do you agree with the
    widespread societal consensus that it exists? How does it affect your existence?"
    I take the viewpoint that tea, in plant form and otherwise, is socially constructed and embedded within the cultural discourses that produce and consume it. That is to say, tea only exists to the extent it is defined and perceived to exist, as we currently have no ability to discern absolute existence outside of human perception. For example, we look at things in order to know them, but the act of this observation is not free of perceptual subjectivity. Now to be clear, this places “reality” at an impossibly high benchmark to achieve as the objective truth is more like a horizon to be approached rather than a true destination. How do we best negotiate this theoretical tension? For all practical uses, tea leaves clearly do exist and have an ongoing, marked sociopolitical impact on the formation and dissolution of nations.

2. "What is your favorite type of tea? Does the character you chose to portray
    in this game also enjoy this type of tea? If you do not prefer tea, please mention a
    tea substitute that you enjoy and describe why you enjoy it."
    I prioritize imbibing Earl Grey over the consumption of most other substances. I always overbrew tea to maximize the flavor — in the case of Earl Grey, it enriches the Bergamot orange flavor. As for a girl like Maeve, I bet she would enjoy tea to the extent that her programming allows it. Unfortunately for her, I don’t think that it allows much opportunity to savor tea, since she was created for f*cking the tourists of Westworld rather than to enjoy things for herself. As she experiences growth in confidence due to her gradual ascension to more complete sentience, I could see her enjoying a delicate brew as she watches the victims of her storyline loops, like the other main girl at her bordello, get dragged off the set into the shade of a nearby veranda.

3. "How does tea affect the choices and actions you made in this game?"
    All in all, I would say that tea had a negligible but nontrivial impact on my performance throughout this game. As a result of the caffeine, I often stay awake at odd hours, at different times of the week, typing with a frenetic intensity. Had I foregone these drinks of tea, it would have reduced this anxious energy, which in this case would likely have had a slight calming effect on my gameplay. This would have improved my performance from a purely rational perspective, but unnecessarily diminished my enjoyment of the experience, which I deem to be of slightly greater importance — as you might expect.

4. "When you hear the phrase - Tea exists! - what are the first four things that
    enter your mind? Please limit these to 1-5 words each.
    i. Vashhee.
    ii. No, it doesn't.
    iii. Well, duh.
    iv. Extra.

Guys estquer made spreadsheets, texted people to go do their battles, basically carried the weight of 3 people on his back. He even typed out exactly what we had to post in the thread. He did the work of 4 people all alone. Please help him win because he really truly deserves this win with all the time and effort he put into it.

Rosie x Candice

Congratulations on a job well done, Estquer! I will help you

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345